Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Young labrador limping

Options
  • 01-07-2011 5:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16

My lab - just 7 months old limps - visited the vet twice but he is reluctant to xray. Does not seem to be any bone problems. Any owners had similar trouble please? I should add that the pup does not seem to be in any discomfort (but hard to tell I suppose). His parents have been tested and are OK. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

Is it always on the same leg or both? Front or back legs? By his parents being tested I presume you mean they have been hipscored and the results were ok? I still wouldn't rule out hip dysplasia as I think a certain element can be environmental as well as genetics.

Did your vet say why they are reluctant to x ray? That's unusual as I'd imagine they'd first want to rule out things like hip dysplasia. :confused: I'd ask again for x rays to be done if your not happy, and don't be afraid to seek a second opinion with another vet or practice if your not happy with your current one.

• Registered Users Posts: 989 ✭✭✭piperh

Zapperzy wrote: »
    Did your vet say why they are reluctant to x ray? That's unusual as I'd imagine they'd first want to rule out things like hip dysplasia. :confused: I'd ask again for x rays to be done if your not happy, and don't be afraid to seek a second opinion with another vet or practice if your not happy with your current one.

+1 for the second opinion if the vets still reluctant to xray. Is the limping after anything in particular like prolonged exercise or rising from sleeping?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,868 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

I would change Vets if, after 2 visits, they haven't made a diagnosis or at least suggested a strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

My guy was around that age when he started having probs and he had loads of rays so not sure why the vet is reluctant. Pups of that age are put under to be spayed/neutered? What did the vet do - advise to exercise the on-lead only, give any meds? With my guy he was limping and put on rimadyl and given 2 weeks - when the 2 weeks were up and he was still limping he had loads xrays over the space of a few months, then referred to ucd then second opinion and surgery in Cork. How is the pups weight? Keeping them lean on a lower protein diet is best to take stress off the jounts - we switched to Burns from RC as it has 18.5% protein.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Heya, we had exactly same problem with our lab, 7 months now. Had her at Vets at first limp and just gave tablets, then it happened again about 2 months later, had her down again and this time they x-rayed, so I'd definitely push for that, especially as Labs are so prone to hip problems.

Unfortunately ours has just been diagnosed with hip dysplasia, not saying it will be the same for yours but I'd recommend getting it tested just to rule it out either way, put your mind at rest :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

It could also be growing pains, otherwise known as Pano. Some larger breeds suffer from it so it could be that.

Is the lameness on going or is it intermittent? How much exercise are you giving the pup? Its important not to over exercise them as pups as it could cause joint problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭Cows Go µ

Is it the front or back and has it been going on for long? If it is the front, could it be from jumping off couches and stuff like that? We have shelties so it might be different for bigger dogs but we have one who used to be terrible for jumping off places that were far too tall for him (and normally just before we got to him to stop him) and he has one shoulder that he now always injuries if he does something stupid (like running into a fence at full pelt because there was a dog in heat near by :rolleyes:). So perhaps if he was jumping off stuff that was too high, he could have damaged a shoulder, especially when he's just a growing boy and his bones aren't fully developed.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 annandpeter

Thanks for that. I had assumed there was a doggy medical reason for not xraying while young. Will go back & push it - if no joy will speak to another vet. A BIG thanks.

Well - its a front leg & seems to be from the shoulder - buta little hard to tell. You know - he was very keen on leaping & jumping - have tried to get him to be less active but rather difficult. Many thanks for the post.

Hi - sounds a lot like our problem. He is a terrible scrounger so I'll have to keen an eye on weight - but what is Burns?RC please? Thanks.

• Advertisement

Yes - it is more pronounced when he wakes up or if he's run with other dogs. There is some slight improvement during the day but it never really goes away. Our breeder is very anxious as her dogs were tested (both parents). Thanks for note

• Registered Users Posts: 14,034 ✭✭✭✭tk123

Hi - sounds a lot like our problem. He is a terrible scrounger so I'll have to keen an eye on weight - but what is Burns?RC please? Thanks.

Burns is a brand of food http://burnsireland.com/ By RC I meant Royal Canin

Advertisement