Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What makes a band " Professional" ?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 3:51pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭

Just throwing this out there to see what kind of answers are there.In other words where is the point where they go from ameteurs to professionals?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 894 ✭✭✭Willbbz

When they get paid

• Registered Users Posts: 25 Limerick Rebel

I think it is when they give up the day job and music becomes their full time occupation.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,446 ✭✭✭Rigsby

There has been a few similar threads recently. Here is one :

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=72545298

FWIW, my own idea of a professional band is one in which it's members, besides being paid, are top class musicians with a professional attitude and gear. By "attitude" I mean reliable, getting on with fellow band members, not being an egotist etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Strictly speaking it's when they get paid for gigs. But more generally I would consider a band or any kind of artist a "professional" when the income they make from it represents a significant proportion (20%+) of their income.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,321 ✭✭✭Jackobyte

Getting paid to record rather than paying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭Sergio

Rigsby wrote: »

FWIW, my own idea of a professional band is one in which it's members, besides being paid, are top class musicians with a professional attitude and gear. By "attitude" I mean reliable, getting on with fellow band members, not being an egotist etc.

couldnt agree more ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

In fairness thats a bloody good point.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 483 ✭✭tom thum

seamus wrote: »
    Strictly speaking it's when they get paid for gigs.
    So if you are in an originals band doing gigs for free to get noticed , then you are NOT professional?

And, if you are in a poor covers band and getting paid , you are therefore professional?

tom thum wrote: »
    So if you are in an originals band doing gigs for free to get noticed , then you are NOT professional?

And, if you are in a poor covers band and getting paid , you are therefore professional?

"Professional" can mean a lot of things to different people. The dictionary says :

Professional:

1. Working in a profession.

2. Taking part in an activity such as sport or music, for money.

3. Very competent.

So, I suppose the crux of this thread is that it can be all or any of the above. It is very hard to give just one definition.

Going by number (3) above, I'd say there are a lot of bands doing the rounds who are getting paid, but would not be considered to be "very competent". :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭raindog.promo

<youtube video edited out>

*FFS, why is it so ****ing hard to put youtube videos on boards? every other forum seems to do it no bother.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭NewNo2

You could be the worst musician in the world... doesn't matter. Once Music becomes your sole income then you are professional. (Doesnt count if you just make €25 a week though!:P Has to be a full "wage")

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

Personally i would call that a serious band, not professional.
    tom thum wrote: »

IMO Thats correct. If its not your profession, i dont think you can be described as professional. This doesnt mean a band isnt good, simply that they dont make a living from it. I dont consider Pro/Amateur etc to be a description of talent but instead income.
    "Professional" can mean a lot of things to different people. The dictionary says :

Professional:

1. Working in a profession.

2. Taking part in an activity such as sport or music, for money.

3. Very competent.

So, I suppose the crux of this thread is that it can be all or any of the above. It is very hard to give just one definition.

Going by number (3) above, I'd say there are a lot of bands doing the rounds who are getting paid, but would not be considered to be "very competent". :p

1. Thats my opinion of a professional.

2. Going by this, entering a BOTB makes you professional. A band of 14 year olds flogging their demo to friends at school could also be considered professional.

3. I would consoder this to be a skilled band/musician, not professional.

I know arguing with the dictionary is an futile effort but im gonna do it anyway! :D

Fandango wrote: »
    Personally i would call that a serious band, not professional.

If you are being paid good money for your work, you've got to be serious.about it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,683 ✭✭✭✭Owen

Everyone's opinion differs. I'm doing 4 bass gigs this week, and 1 guitar gig, but I have my day job, so I would consider myself semi-pro. If music was all I was doing, I'd consider myself pro.

Both my sister and brother teach/play full time, so I'd consider them to fit that box.

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭Fandango

If you are being paid good money for your work, you've got to be serious.about it. ;)
    Sorry, i mean a band with a great attitude, skilled musicians etc who arent getting paid i would consider a serious band but not professional. Didnt explain it very well :)

Advertisement