Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for a Counselling Foundation Course Interview?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭

What exactly are they likely to be looking for? I've still lot's of my own issues but working on them and aware of them. I think I'm a good candidate for the most part but is there any potential pitfalls?...Yeah what are they likely to be looking for in a good candidate? Experience in the general area? a Psychology background? good communication and empathy skills?. Plan is just to be myself as I've a lot of confidence and if they don't deem me suitable due to my own baggage or life I'll accept that.

But any advice would nonetheless be welcome!
    Danke
    F

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

I didn't know any foundation courses even did interviews. I imagine you would have to be a psychopath to get rejected from doing a foundation course so I wouldn't worry. If you were asking about a degree / postgrad counselling course I would say they would look for maturity, the capacity to reflect upon oneself, an understanding of what it means to be a counsellor, an awareness of and ability to fulfil the various commitments of the course, interest in the field including any general experience in a helping capacity, personal experience of therapy etc.

Don't worry about having issues past or present. They will consider us all to be on a journey of personal development and many hold to the concept of "the wounded healer". It is overwhelmingly the case that people who train as counsellors have had significant experiences of suffering and problems.

In fact it would be interesting to do a study comparing a cohort of counselling students to other cohorts on general adjustment and mental health. It would also be interesting to chart the differences in those scores from the beginning of their training to the end to assess the effective of the large amount of personal development and personal therapy they do. Hmm, I might do those studies myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

Thanks, yes there is indeed an interview for a Foundation course, might be titled 'Introduction', not sure but it's a recognised Foundation course. Think there's a lot of group work and seems fairly practical and not from the outside academic heavy. Asessment is in the form of just one essay and a year long diary.

Advertisement