Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Robots eventually take over the world?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 1:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,758 ✭✭✭✭

I watched iRobot. And that was just one of the little ****ers going crazy.
    In the future, in and around 2020, when robots are clean the steets, working in shops and making people breakfast in the morning. How long before they develop consciousness?
    Are there any measure to stop them if they plan an attack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

How long before they develop consciousness?
    Probably quite some time away. The more pressing matter is: how long before a virus is released that tells the robots to attack the humans?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

That would be an interesting question to debate. People may use Moore's Law to make a determination (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moore's_law), but it's AI that needs to make the quantum leap in ability, before we see machines go on a rampage.

N.B
    Just noting a discrepency between what I've been taught and wikipedia. I thought the resulting graph showing Moores Law was exponential, not Linear. That's unless I'm reading it all wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,590 ✭✭✭Tackleberrywho

In the future, in and around 2020, when robots are clean the steets, working in shops and making people breakfast in the morning. How long before they develop consciousness?
    Are there any measure to stop them if they plan an attack?

In 2003 65 nM Technology was cutting edge. Now 45nM is common and 22nM is coming to a store near you soon ;)

Robots no matter how high Tech or expensive still have Hissy Fits though that require full reboots :D

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,240 Mod ✭✭✭✭L.Jenkins

Come on, it's the AI within the machine that will throw an absolute wobbler. AI is a highly complex subject and I'm sure you can do numberous Doctorates on the subject, but until that area of study catches up, no machine will begin a presidential bid for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,261 ✭✭✭3rdDegree

Wasn't it the big one who had the hissy fit?

• Advertisement

3rdDegree wrote: »
    Wasn't it the big one who had the hissy fit?

It was. A central computer, forget the name that provided updates to all robots to go bonkers and to try and imprison humanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 iMayne

the_syco wrote: »
    ...how long before a virus is released that tells the robots to attack the humans?

Good question!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Offy

iMayne wrote: »
    the_syco wrote: »
    ...how long before a virus is released that tells the robots to attack the humans?

Good question!

I spent six years programming and maintaning robots, Ive yet to see one without a big red emergency stop switch so we are pretty safe as long as we keep using them! Plus as far as Im awear only trained and certified people can enter a live robot cell, yes a cell. Robots require a cell all around them which would make attacking humans kinda hard for them.
    Irobot is science fiction and that world is generations away at best. The law might have changed since I worked with robots but I wouldnt think its changed that much in the last ten years. Its just not safe to let untrained people near live robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,176 ✭✭✭nyarlothothep

Why should robots attack humans? Maybe they would regard us as parental figures. Hugo De Garris, eminent authority on AI disagrees however and predicts an all out conflict between the terrans and the artelects.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

Offy wrote: »
    I spent six years programming and maintaning robots, Ive yet to see one without a big red emergency stop switch so we are pretty safe as long as we keep using them! Plus as far as Im awear only trained and certified people can enter a live robot cell, yes a cell. Robots require a cell all around them which would make attacking humans kinda hard for them.
    Irobot is science fiction and that world is generations away at best. The law might have changed since I worked with robots but I wouldnt think its changed that much in the last ten years. Its just not safe to let untrained people near live robots.

I guess the type of robot you were "teaching" were not intelligent. I mean they only do as they are programmed to (usually).
    There are robots that "learn" from their own actions. Machines that run around on wheels and learn not to bump into things.
    These don't require E stops or cells as they pose no physical danger......yet.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,533 Mod ✭✭✭✭2011

Robots taking over?? It may not be that far fetched...

I have been reading Wired for War by P.W. Singer

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 37 petercena

I don't think so,robots are good but not good enough like humans. If we can create them then we also can destroy them.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭tomtherobot

As far as i know robots are already starting to be used in warfare. I think the americans have been using a little bot for scouting in the middle east.

Well consider Unmanned Aerial Vehicles. The US has led the way in obtaining a level of automation on the battlefield. The question is, how long before the level of user input becomes insignificant? Meaning, a C&C essentially provides a target to a UAV goes, which then goes and bombs it's targets without any additional user input.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Wotty

As long as we keep an off button thats hardware rather than a software switch there shouldn't be a problem.

Only difficulty might begetting close enough to activate the switch.

Anyway, all autonomous devices still require a power source, so as long as we don't allow a device to recharge it will run out of power.

Simples :D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Interesting video worth watching, mentions the coming "singularity", when computers will eventually be smarter than the brain. It's not sci-fi or anything, it is inevitable at the pace at which computers are increasing in speed every day.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1uIzS1uCOcE

• Registered Users Posts: 914 ✭✭✭DarkDusk

Oh, and I'd really recommend reading Robert Harris' book The Fear Index. Not a brilliant read but it really appealed to me as I am interested in both computers and finance.

Advertisement