Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

GFX card problem

Options
  • 01-07-2011 9:06am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,528 ✭✭✭

my brother is living up north, hes having a problem with a new graphics card he bought.

his pc spec is:
    Dell Inspiron 531
    Bios 1.0.8 (cant upgrade to latest Bios 1.0.13 as it does not support 64 bit Windows?).
    Windows 7 64 bit Home Professional

think his psu is only like about 300, but according to him, hes been reading forums on the gfx card that said that dell psu was fine.

the card is XFX Nvidia Geforce GT 240 DDR5 512mb.

The problem is windows boots up, but cant get past the splash screen, everything goes black.

heres what i had him do:
    boot into safe mode
    remove nvidia drivers
    use CCleaner to remove and leftovers
    restart
    let windows install whatever drivers it wants
    then go to nvidia and get the drivers.

he says that hasnt fixed it.

is a black screen after the splashscreen normally driver issue?

the fan is spinning on the card from startup.

i might be up in his sunday, any suggestions? will bring a spare 600w psu i have here with me.

cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,696 ✭✭✭Jonny7

That card does not need a more powerful PSU - its a pretty weak card

One thing - make sure the card is seated properly i.e. fully pushed down, some are v delicate with them and don't slot them in fully

I very much doubt the card requires additional power from molex 6 pin adapter, but worth having a look anyway

Otherwise could just be a dead card

Advertisement