Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question about pet insurance?

Options
  • 01-07-2011 12:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭

After a few recent costly vet visits I've been thinking about getting pet insurance.

I don't have a clue what the best insurers are, costs, what it will cover etc. I have two dogs (Female Jack Russell age 1 and male Jack Russell x Bichon pup) and two cats

Help?:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

After a few recent costly vet visits I've been thinking about getting pet insurance.

I don't have a clue what the best insurers are, costs, what it will cover etc. I have two dogs (Female Jack Russell age 1 and male Jack Russell x Bichon pup) and two cats

Help?:)

I'm not sure about dogs but I have allianz for my 3 cats. 2 of which are new kittens and I didn't even shop around for quotes, I just added them to my allianz policy. I know there are some cheaper companies out there but I have had to claim a lot!! And I have never had any problems. My premium has never been raised either as a result of claiming which is great. I do believe once a pet gets old it can be very costly but at the moment I have claimed about 3000 in medical expenses (over 3 years with 2 adult cats) and my total annual premiums have come to 360! Wouldn't be without it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,429 ✭✭✭✭star-pants

Best bet is usually to ring around the insurers and find out who'll give you the best quote for what. Find out what they cover/what they don't cover, also find out about how much excess you pay. Check with them & with your vet whether you pay the full amount to the vet and then you send off a claim form yourself to the insurance to get the rest back, or if you just pay the excess to the vet and the vet sends off the form to claim the rest.
    (our vet used to claim the rest themselves, we just paid the excess)

A lot of people have had good and bad experiences with Allianz (I won't go on again but we didn't renew with allianz) As mentioned above someone has had a great experience with them, but no harm checking all the companies.
    I think it's 123.ie, Allianz, Petinsure.ie and there's another I think that I can't recall at present. Generally there is a discount for multiple pets so make sure to push for that too.

Also note, anything your dogs have been treated for before (depending on what it is) may not be covered by your insurance, as they won't cover pre-existing conditions or at the very least there'll be a black out period before they do.

Advertisement