Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Working in Applied Behaviour Analysis..?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 11:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 15

I did an undergraduate degree in English and psychological studies. As part of my psychology course, I studied Applied Behaviour Analysis for one semester. I have been out of college for a year now and am seriously considering returning to college to do the MSc in ABA. However, the course is two years long and, therefore, is very expensive. I want to have more of an idea of what would be involved in working in an ABA school before committing to it. I have emailed a local ABA school about work experience but am still waiting for a response which is why I thought I would try here. What goes into the day to day running of an ABA school? What are the best and worst bits of the job? Would there be a possibility of working with older children? Also, I would be interested to know about jobs people may have in ABA outside of the school setting. I would really appreciate any advice people can give me. Thank you!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 trace51

Hi,

I am just finshing the MSc in ABA so hope I can help a bit. I don't work in a school but on home programmes, if a child with autism does not have a school place the the DoES provides a grant for the child to receive tuition at home. there are ups and downs to this, the work itself though I love and I love the kids I have worked with. ABA can be applied to any population, I work in early intervention but most schools take children up to 18 years I think and there are posts as behaviour support workers in the HSE working with adults. At the moment the job situation is not good though (like everything!), and is likely to get worse.

The course (NUIG) only has one day of teaching a week and you are sort of expected to work in the area on the other days, it is challenging but I did enjoy it and dont regret choosing it. You really would need some experience to get the course though, looking for some voluntary work is a good idea, maybe try ringing schools? Some schools look for volunteers for summer camps although its probably a bit late for that now.

If you would like to know anything else let me know!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 feckless3

Thanks so much for your help! Its so hard trying to make these decisions! I wouldn't be starting the course until September 2012 anyway so that gives me a little bit of time to do some volunteering. Just wondering, if you're supposed to be working during the year do they provide work experience for you or are you expected to find your own job? I'm just wondering because I don't expect it would be too easy to find a job in ABA at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41 trace51

No you need to find your own work, you could just do the MSc and not work if you wanted to, but I think it would be alot more difficult this way, and you would not be able to get BACB certification until you have built up hours so its better to be working, there is some work around, and getting some experience will make it easier to get the work and the course

Advertisement