Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fibre breakthrough as Eircom and E-net finally connect

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Eircom are so pressed for money it was an obvious income stream for them to start utilising. Lets hope it leads to some thing more positive.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

Up till now eircom had always quoted daft expensive rates. So some MANs unconnected.

Unless it's same price or ideally cheaper than BT/Esat/CIE or ESB fibre it's hardly a major breakthrough.

The issue is eircom's insanely high wholesale prices.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Lads,
    As of today eircom have drastically reduced the NGN Ethernet prices for their Node Reach exchanges so they are now only slightly more expensive than standard NGN exchanges. This will now make it more economical to connect un-lit MAN's where radio backhaul was up to now the only cost effective option.
    thegills

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Upstream

Thanks for all the info:), it looks like these MANs might finally get put to good use, can I ask a few questions to help understand what's now possible? (sorry if I've got the wrong end of the stick)

For example:
    • A broadband reseller with a number of potential customers located on a MAN wants to offer them a service.
    • Can they now ask eircom to supply broadband to the MAN for a price?
    • If so, what sort of price?
    • And how many customers on the MAN would a reseller need before it becomes economical to offer broadband over it?
    • What sort of speeds could they offer?
    I'm asking because I work for a company that can get a fibre connection to the local MAN, but can't find anyone who is willing to provide broadband over it. (This seems to be the case for most MANs around the country.)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,802 ✭✭✭thegills

Fibre services are typically more expensive than your typical broadband service so a reseller would have a number of options
    1. Get a MAN connection to a mast and then sell wireless services to your customers
    2. Get a MAN connection to an eircom exchange and unbundle the exchange
    3. Get a fibre connection to each your customers
    The best thing is to call e|net on 061 274000 and someone will sort you out.

The eircom deal will provide backhaul to the MAN PoP but the MAN will still provide the connectivity around the town

thegills

• Advertisement
Advertisement