Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula One rights 'wanted by Channel 4'

Options
  • 30-06-2011 6:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭

Channel 4 has reportedly opened preliminary talks with Formula One bosses about snapping up broadcast rights to the motorsport when the BBC's deal expires.

Channel 4 wants to pick up Formula One because its young male audience is ideal for attracting advertisers, according to the Evening Standard.

The broadcaster declined to comment on the speculation, but a source said: "There's a perception that Channel 4 isn't interested in sports but they've got the Paralympics next year and the IAAF athletics."

Last weekend, the Sunday Times reported a senior source at the BBC as saying that the corporation will not extend its current five-year deal to cover F1, which is worth an estimated £40 million a year and runs until the end of the 2013 season.

The newspaper claimed that the BBC feels the money spent on F1 would be better used elsewhere, as it attempts to slash its budget by 20% under the new licence fee settlement.

Formula One boss Bernie Ecclestone has stressed that he wants to keep the sport on free-to-air television, despite speculation that pay-TV broadcaster Sky could move for the rights.

"We want Formula One to stay free to viewers. That is 100%," he said.

Channel 4 has reinvested much of the money it saved from axing reality TV series Big Brother last year, but it still has a considerable cash pile for investment.

Alongside its financial results announcement last month, Channel 4 revealed that it has cash reserves of £261m but it wants to retain £100m as a 'rainy day' fund, while a further £100m is required for upfront costs, such as paying suppliers in advance.

That leaves a pot of around £50m that can be invested in content, of which £15m has already been allocated to boost the annual budget of film financing division Film4.

Fellow commercial broadcaster ITV is also thought to be interested in the F1 rights after previously showing the motorsport up to 2008 when the BBC agreed its latest deal.

http://www.digitalspy.ie/broadcasting/news/a327663/formula-one-rights-wanted-by-channel-4.html

Not sure what to make of this, BBC's coverage is pretty good, especially with no ads, be a shame to see it go to a channel with ads every 10-15 mins

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Hope this doesn't happen

Apart from Italian football Channel 4 aren't known for sports production.

And having watched films on their channels we'll have constant ad breaks, even more then ITV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,272 ✭✭✭✭Max Power1

Ugh. Why cant they stay on a no adds channel! I hated when UTV had the rights, you'd miss half the race ffs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 400 ✭✭Im Only 71Kg

C4 would be a nightmare. i wouldn't watch it on C4...adds every chance they get.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

I'd be amazed if Channel 4 could afford it if BBC couldn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

NNNNOOOOOOoooooo!!! It cant go back to ads every 15min. And that means no FP on the red button and no classic F1

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,043 ✭✭✭bennyx_o

amacachi wrote: »
    I'd be amazed if Channel 4 could afford it if BBC couldn't.
    BBC can afford it, I think it's more a case of them not wanting to spend the money on it.

Overall, I think it would be a bad move for F1 as a whole. Would Channel 4 have kept coverage going through liek the BBC did for Canada this year, or would they have simply stopped it. Also, which would take priority, horse racing or Formula One?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

BBC are cutting expenditure

from media guardian

Staff have been canvassed as part of director general Mark Thompson's Delivering Quality First project, which is looking at ways to find savings of about 20% from budgets across the BBC following last autumn's licence fee settlement with the government. This led to a six-year licence-fee freeze at £145.50 annually – a 16% decline in income in real terms.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,476 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

F1 has to be one of their biggest viewer ships surely? how many viewers over the course of a year for the price?

how much does the tennis draw, or moto gp or anything else in comparison?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

As I said on another thread I can't see the teams going to pay tv when exposure is what they make their money from. It would take an insane amount of money to compensate the teams for that loss.

I don't like the idea of charging for other info, F1 is brilliant as it has free and accurate live timing that others don't.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭matty55

Is it worth pointing out that The Sunday Times is owned by News Corp which is owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns Sky?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭De Hipster

Absolutely dreadful idea, Channel Four would ruin any folllowing F1 has built up through the BBC since the (re)bought the rights with the BBC team & their links to the F1 teams & personalities.

C4 dropped WRC like a hot spud when it suited them, plus the red button coverage & F1 post race forums are great watching...would be distraught to see them go!

I strongly object & say "NNNNNNNOOOOOOO Channel 4" (in a Harry Enfield style), as an Irish citizen & non-BBC licence payer. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,199 ✭✭✭G-Money

Really don't want this to go to ITV or C4, Ad breaks are incredibly annoying. I will give ITV their fair dues, they did improve the coverage in some areas if you think back to how it was on the BBC originally. From what I remember before the switch to ITV, BBC would just come on a few minutes before the race started, do the coverage and then off the air as soon as the race was over. I remember very few features and extra's like we have now and ITV started doing that when they took over the coverage.

I love BBC's coverage and I'd nearly be willing to give them some money myself to keep it there.

amacachi wrote: »
    As I said on another thread I can't see the teams going to pay tv when exposure is what they make their money from. It would take an insane amount of money to compensate the teams for that loss.

I don't like the idea of charging for other info, F1 is brilliant as it has free and accurate live timing that others don't.
    matty55 wrote: »
    Is it worth pointing out that The Sunday Times is owned by News Corp which is owned by Rupert Murdoch who also owns Sky?

Who mentioned SKY, this is about Channel 4.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

Channel 4 would be better off going back to the WRC. There's been some cracking rallies this year, decided by small margins and 5 genuine potential winners. With Mini ramping up their program and VW on the way, the profile is rising.

On the other hand, North One have a hugely stale format and the damage that's been done by being banished to the wilds of ESPN is considerable, I heard rumours of one Day Highlights show that had ~3000 viewers. Skirmish on UK Conquest would get better numbers than that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,026 ✭✭✭terlywerly

Really wouldn't want it to move from the BBC. Love that the red button has FP and the old races on it. ITV wasn't so bad but I can only imagine what C4 would do with their constant ad breaks. 'Oh look, here comes the race leader in for his pit stop with the second place car close behind... oh now it's time for another commercial break'. Then a return to coverage to discover 3 cars have crashed out and the race has been red flagged...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would prefer it on BBC but i wouldnt write off Channel 4 to make a good punt out of it. When they covered Cricket they transformed the game. They were the 1st people to use Hawk Eye and Snicko for TV coverage and now they are included into the actual game of cricket with umpire appeals. I know F1 tv coverage is done by themselves but when C4 put real effort in, they can be very innovative.

mike65 wrote: »
    Who mentioned SKY, this is about Channel 4.

I just can't see how C4 could possibly afford it and in the interview I was referring to Whitmarsh was talking about exposure and the importance of sponsorship etc. and as far as I can tell was talking about the loss of such things if a move to Sky/ESPN was suggested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Corben Dallas

Cant see this this happening. C4 dont really have any form in showing Motorsport....well. WRC now on Dave is case in point.

Reference the Sky/Murdock/Sunday Times lead story.

[I]BBC might not renew its F1 coverage when current deal runs out....[/I] (on Front Page of Sunday Times).

Reason why they are all linked is that Beebs F1 contract is up for renewal, Bernie Ecclestone is looking to sell F1's TV rights at present, One of the bidders is SKY/Murdock, who owns NewsCorp, who owns Sunday Times..... can u say conflict of Interest? :)

Just look what great things SKY sports have done for Premier League football :rolleyes:, u only ever see Premier League Teams on Terrestrial TV in Cup competitions :|

We are spoiled by BBC coverage of the sport, No Ads, No 'Coronation Street' (Feckin rerun omnibus edition) will be on in 20mins etc, and ability to stay with coverage, switch to BBC2 with rain delays etc.

The Sunday Times article was deliberately run to boost Sky's bid, say its costing to much for BBC to pay for every year and try to nobble the incumbent Broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭jordainius

Oh great, back to ad break hell again! I remember back in 1998, for the final title deciding race in Suzuka (when my viewing pattern was Murray and Martin first, while switching to RTE when ITV went to ad breaks).

Of course, Schumacher stalls on the grid, starts from the back and goes on an almighty charge through the field in a bid to catch Hakkinen. About an hour through, ITV take yet another break. I switch to RTE and next thing happens is Schumacher drives over some debris after a collision between a Tyrell and a Minardi on the chicane, moments later when he's coming towards the end of the pit straight; bang, puncture, Schumacher's charge is over, his retirement means Hakkinen has just won his first title. The most important moment of the season and ITV were on an ad break!

But thats not the worst part, when they eventually returned from their break the commentary team acted as though nothing had happened and after a short while a replay was shown of Schumacher retiring and poor old Murray and Martin had to react as though it had just happened right at that moment! Cringeworthy stuff!

Jaysus I do miss Murray Walker though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Thats a disaster for Irish viewers if it went to Channel 5. That channel is not carried by UPC so satellite is the only real option. next question is, if it does go to C5, then will Setanta continue coverage but revert back to the commentary with Deco Quigster and David Kennedy?!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

I have sky and i dont have channel5, i could cry now :( whats goin to be our alternative :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 15,513 ✭✭✭✭vectra

I am lucky, I have Freesat HD and have 5

Victory for the people in the cheap seats! :p Just pull the card from your Sky box and go FTA for the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

mike65 wrote: »
    Victory for the people in the cheap seats! :p Just pull the card from your Sky box and go FTA for the afternoon.
    Any idea of the frequencies to search for?

Take the card out and 101-105 are BBC 1, 2, ITV, C4 and C5.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Top Dog

C5 doesn't work. The other 4 do alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭KCAccidental

it would be a great shame to see F1 gone from BBC again. I think they have really stepped up their coverage since the return from ITV. compared to other sports (mainly football) the BBC broadcast team are well rounded and complement each other very well. Brundle & Coulthard are on their way to becoming the finest commentary team in any major sport. a great mix of experience and knowledge of what they are talking about.

shame about eddie irvine though (every grid walk he does is like watching a new episode of curb your enthusiasm :pac: ).

• Advertisement

Channel 5 can be tuned in and added manually, check the satellite forum sticky for adding channels.

Advertisement