Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No references, what to do?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 4:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭

Ive been asked to give references now only twice since looking for employment, the problem is I only have one from school (which was 10 years ago), none of my jobs ever gave references and most of my ex-managers would be well and truely gone as most of the jobs were in high staff turnover jobs. The one position that wasnt, were very strict on not giving references though.

What can you say to an employer when they ask for references? I have proof of employment from most, if not all my previous positions (like contracts/wage slips etc) and I dont put down any false employment on my cv, its all legit. However I dont think this is enough for most jobs. What can I do? In this day and age are references really required/easy to get? I'd rather they just gave me a technical test or similar as that will prove even more than a reference, that I could do the job and would prove what experience a candidate would have.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

Contact the HR department and ask for one, they will most likely send you a "Worked here as Z between X and Y" and that is pretty much standard reference these days. If they ask for contact persons say you don't have them.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Nody wrote: »
    Contact the HR department and ask for one, they will most likely send you a "Worked here as between X and Y" and that is pretty much standard reference these days.

I have been asked for contact details for referee's though, not on paper thats the problem

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,280 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

gline wrote: »
    I have been asked for contact details for referee's though, not on paper thats the problem
    Tell them you are no longer in contact with your old managers (you can always try a search via Linkedin though and see if you get lucky) anymore.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,630 ✭✭✭gline

Nody wrote: »
    Tell them you are no longer in contact with your old managers (you can always try a search via Linkedin though and see if you get lucky) anymore.

Thanks for the suggestion.

The thing is though, if a candidate comes alone that has references available, how much of an advantage is that? I know I can say all of this (that I'm not in contact and dont have contactable references) to a potential employer, but how bad does it look in their minds? Could this be "major" factor for not getting employment?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I only got one jobs where they didn't check references and that was in the middle of the boom when companies were crying out for people.

• Advertisement
Advertisement