Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

When Chris Jericho Returns......

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭

What are you guys hoping for, i am praying to god that they bring him back as Y2J and not the boring suit wearing Jericho.

Y2J was one of the only remaining entertaining guys left and the ruined him by just turning him into the suit wearing Jericho, who was obviously good as a heel, but he wasnt entertaining IMO.

I love Y2J on the mic and I seriously hope they have him return as a heel, bt an entertaining heel, a rock 03 heel type character where he is a heel, but a hilarious heel.

There isnt anyone right now in WWE who is entertaining on the mic, Punk is obviously awesome but he isnt a funny guy on the mic the way Jericho was, and thats what I am hoping for, but most likely he will just be another boring character that they force upon us.

Remember this? One of the best Promos in years !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,207 ✭✭✭✭SlickRic

you're just looking for comedy really from wrestling sports entertainment aren't you?!

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

Oh dear God no! Jerichos comedy return fell flat on it's face. His every-man character was excellent, by God he really got the crowd to hate him. It made for one of the moat interesting characters in years. The whole HBK story was brilliant, one of the finest in along time.

But I hope he doesn't come back as that character either. Chris is brilliant at reinventing himself and I'd be more excited to see what new character he brings us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,128 ✭✭✭drayme

The return promo was an epic fail and it killed the crowd.

To answer your question in depends what film he just watched.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

jericho said in an interview a little while ago that he wouldnt be returning as a suit wearing slow speaker as the miz stole his gimmick.

Im hoping for 2003 Y2j to make a return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭JamesMania

drayme wrote: »
    The return promo was an epic fail and it killed the crowd.

To answer your question in depends what film he just watched.

What??

That return promo he cut was very good, very entertaining, and had some great insults in it.

When I watch WWE i want to see some charasmatic entertaining superstars like The Rock aNd Y2J.

If i wanted hardcore wrestling I would watch ROH.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

he created the suit wearing heel did he not ? look the miz now copying Jericho.

i loved jericho when he use to bash the old age pensioners i found it very funny

• Registered Users Posts: 14,600 ✭✭✭✭CMpunked

JamesMania wrote: »
    There isnt anyone right now in WWE who is entertaining on the mic, Punk is obviously awesome but he isnt a funny guy on the mic the way Jericho was,

Little JimmyMania!!

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcTz_eRvNersjWcMqNR-DRYo8eY6DVCrohyLHhmyceV0FxUN134e&t=1

CMpunked wrote: »
    jericho said in an interview a little while ago that he wouldnt be returning as a suit wearing slow speaker as the miz stole his gimmick.

Im hoping for 2003 Y2j to make a return.

Jericho also said Y2J is dead btw.
    What??

That return promo he cut was very good, very entertaining, and had some great insults in it.

When I watch WWE i want to see some charasmatic entertaining superstars like The Rock aNd Y2J.

You being a bit of try hard with your entertainment gimmick here. If you want to be believable pick your spots on the random insults. Where did I even allude to "hardcore wrestling". Anyway I wouldnt watch ROH for hardcore wrestling Id watch Big Japan.

Even Jericho thought the promo was a flop.

I dont know what you are whatting about that is how Jericho came up with his previous character.

Jericho also said Y2J is dead btw.

You being a bit of try hard with your entertainment gimmick here. If you want to be believable pick your spots on the random insults. Where did I even allude to "hardcore wrestling". Anyway I wouldnt watch ROH for hardcore wrestling Id watch Big Japan.

Even Jericho thought the promo was a flop.

I dont know what you are whatting about that is how Jericho came up with his previous character.

I honestly do not know how anyone could call that promo a flop, it was entertaining as hell.

What was wrong with it ?

• Registered Users Posts: 230 ✭✭DHYNZY

With the number of charismatic heels at an all time low in the industry we can expect Jericho to return, whenever he does, as an entertaining heel in my opinion. He'll be flat out entertaining. I see him getting a lot of mic time!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,873 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Y2J was relevant at the turn of the millennium. You know, when the whole Y2K thing was to the fore in the public consciousness. He'd be mad to repeat that gimmick in 2011/12.

I honestly do not know how anyone could call that promo a flop, it was entertaining as hell.

What was wrong with it ?

Explain the random Hardcore Wrestling/ROH remark first.

Y2J was relevant at the turn of the millennium. You know, when the whole Y2K thing was to the fore in the public consciousness. He'd be mad to repeat that gimmick in 2011/12.

Not so much the gimmick, im talking about the character type, being a funny, charasmatic arrogant insulting heel

I was refering to slickrick sorry

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Not so much the gimmick, im talking about the character type, being a funny, charasmatic arrogant insulting heel

Kind of like what The Miz is doing now but in Hawaiian shirts is it??

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭thebostoncrab

What was wrong with it ?

I don't think he ment hardcore as in weapons, he ment hardcore wrestling as watching a company for work rate over characters (Which is still wrong to put ROH in anyway since it has had some of the most interesting characters around). Correct me if I'm wrong.

gimmick wrote: »
    Kind of like what The Miz is doing now but in Hawaiian shirts is it??

And doing his best Bruce Dickinson.

COME ON DONNINGTON WWE UNIVERSE

I was refering to slickrick sorry

you did quote him though, so you understand the confusion.

i presume by 'hardcore wrestling' you mean pure wrestling organisation, with no slapstick humour rather than people using chairs and tables.

there are different ways to be entertained rather than just a bunch of catchphrases.

some of us are entertained by compelling characters who have depth.

they are just as entertaining, in a very different way, than the likes of a Y2J gimmick.

there's no need to belittle one.

they're both excellent, and important to the product.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭irish_stevo815

For Jericho's return, I would love to see one of these scenarios:

1. Vs. CM Punk - Punk does what he promises and wins the WWE title at MITB, thus getting John Cena fired. The next night on Raw, Punk comes out with the title around his waist and 2 contracts in his hand, one for WWE and the other for Ring of Honor (which Vince has bought out, thus giving WWE a new brand). Punk eventually decides to sign the ROH contract, going on about he will remake the WWE Title into something worthwhile. The weeks leading up to Summerslam have Punk leading a new group of ROH "wrestlers" against Raw's superstars. And he goes on about how no one is WWE can touch him now that he is part of ROH. Vince comes out on the Raw before SS, and says that yes, no one from WWE can touch him, or challenge for the WWE Title, but he has just signed a new Wrestler to the ROH brand, who is contracted to face Punk for the title at Summerslam ,but he will remain a mystery opponent until he enters the match.
    So, the main event of Summerslam, Punk is in the ring when his music stops waiting to see who he will be facing. The lights go out for about 30 seconds, the fans cheering in anticipation, Punk gets a mic, in the darkness and starts ranting about how much of a joke this is and how stupid Vince must be, etc, etc. Whenn all of a sudden, a muffled, but familiar voice errupts around the arena - "YOU HAVE WAITED.....THE AYYYYAAATOOOOLLLA OF ROCK N ROOOOOOLLLLLLLLAAAA ISS BAAAAAACCCK", followed by a barrage of pyros and the all too familiar "BREAK THE WALLS DOWN........."
    Enter Y2J, Chris Jericho to face Punk for the WWE Title!!!

2. Vs. The Miz. At MITB, Miz wins the MITB ladder match again to have the contract for a title shot. This time around, Miz doesnt wait so long, he cashes in against Cean the same night, after he retains against Punk. Only to get get hit by a GTS from Punk before the bell, thus getting pinned by Cean and losing his MITB contract. Over the next few weeks, he gets more and more frustrated about getting screwed out of his title shot and gets a rematch at Summerslam, but in Triple Threat - Cena vs. Miz vs. Del Rio. after about 20 minutes of the match, Del Rio is laid outside the ring, Miz hits Cena with a Skull crushing finale, and is just about ot go for the pin, when Ricardo Rodriquez comes in and hits him in the head with the WWE Title. Del Rio gets up, locks the Cross armbar to Miz, who taps out making him WWE Cahmpion. Once again, Miz gets screwed out of WWE title shot. a couple of months go by, and Miz begins to gain momentum again, getting big wins and a bigger ego. At survivor series, he wins a match against Rey Mysterio and the next night on he comes out in his suit, bragging about how his time has come back around to be WWE Champion. He goes on about how it was this night, one year ago when he cashed in against Randy Orton to win the WWE title. He says he has beaten everone worth beating over the last year - Orton, Cena, Jerry Lawler, Mysterio but is interrupted by the Annonnymous Raw GM. Cole reads out - "Miz, you think you can strut around here in your fancy suits, shooting your mouth off about how youre the best. Well you're not! you have just been ripping off a very well known superstar around here, who's the best at what he does.......... " Then the lights go out and when they come back on, there is some one standing at the top of the ramp under the tron with his back to the ring, he picks up the mic -"Or should I say, I'm the best at what I do." Jericho is revelaed as the RAW GM, and goes into a feud with Miz until the Royal Rumble. Jericho wins the Rumble, and the next night on Raw, he says hes made a decision on which title he will fight for at Wrestlemania. He says, I have one all titles he could in the WWE but the one thing he hasnt done, is faced Taker at Wrestlemania. He uses his Rumble win, and GM powers, to set up his match against Taker at WM28 (which of course will be overshadowed by DWAYNE........:p)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

ricero wrote: »
    he created the suit wearing heel did he not ? look the miz now copying Jericho.

Na, Naitch was styling and profiling for years.

• Advertisement

Dancor wrote: »
    Na, Naitch was styling and profiling for years.

Nick Bockwinkel too

Jericho took more from Bock than Flair with his last character.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,061 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

What??

I didn't mind the promo myself but Drayme to be fair was correct it flopped and the next few weeks as a face he wasn't that entertaining.

I actually thought Jericho was amusing at times in his serious heel role, the stuff with Big Show especially had some great moments as despite Show's limitations in the ring he is quite good at comedy.

and nobody can tell me these bits in particular weren't entertaining as hell...

• Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I dont care what gimmick he goes for as long as he is back soon, hopefully on SD - Jericho V Taker at WM 28 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,957 ✭✭✭The Volt

I miss this guy terribly. Face or heel, I love seeing him doing what he does best.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,623 ✭✭✭Dancor

Nick Bockwinkel too

Jericho took more from Bock than Flair with his last character.

Way before my time but reading about Bockwinkle:
    Wiki: He was also known for his calm, charismatic, articulate promos, which distinguished him from many of his contemporaries.

Sounds very much like suit wearing Jericho.

Dancor wrote: »
    Way before my time but reading about Bockwinkle:

Sounds very much like suit wearing Jericho.

From Dave Meltzer's Wrestling Observer Hall of Fame bio (which I think Jericho just have had a hand in :pac:):
    While he knew he was coming back as a heel, he didn’t fully have the plan formulated. It was watching the movie “No Country for Old Men,” the 2007 Oscar winner for best picture, when he saw the character of Anton Chigurh, a hitman, played by Javier Bardem, who won the Best Supporting Actor award, that he came up with the inspiration. He would play a remorseless villain whose character believed he was right and that everyone else was wrong. He eliminated all the prior comedy elements of his persona, a risky move because comedy and frivolity was a lot of what he had built his character around and was an extension of his natural personality. He decided to always wear a suit, because at the time, almost nobody was doing it. He decided against talking loudly on interviews. No top heel had talked in a reasoned monotone deliberate fashion without raising their voice since Jake Roberts, whose heyday was from the prior generation. Using the big words to insult the intelligence of the audience and exude arrogance came from Nick Bockwinkel, who he saw as a kid growing up in Winnipeg when Bockwinkel was the AWA champion.

Available to read in full here:
    http://jerichofan.com/2010/09/chris-jericho-named-to-wrestling-observer-hall-of-fame/

• Registered Users Posts: 85,919 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Advertisement