Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Question on riding 800cc cruiser with L plates.

Options
  • 30-06-2011 2:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭

Guys,

Quick question: I've just done my Mod 1 in the UK and can only ride a 125 with L plates. (taking Mod 2 in 3 weeks).

I have an 800cc cruiser here in Ireland and want to know can I get insurance to ride it for a few weeks on the restricted - power to weight ratio system. I had heard this is possible.

Thanks for the info.

Looking forward to meeting some of you as various events in the future.

P

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,201 ✭✭✭KamiKazi

Depends on the bike and whether it's under the power/weight ratio or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 233 ✭✭txpjl

KamiKazi wrote: »
    Depends on the bike and whether it's under the power/weight ratio or not.

It's an 800cc Suzuki V twin cruiser. Sukuki C50 Boulevard. Like the Volusia/Intruder.

Would this fit into the P/W ratio of a 125? How do I find out?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 356 ✭✭Roadskill

If your on a UK provisional then no you can't as provisional licences are not recognized only full.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

Your UK provisional is not valid here at all. Get an Irish learner permit or go ahead and do the test for the full UK licence

• Registered Users Posts: 18,957 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

AgileMyth wrote: »
    Your UK provisional is not valid here at all. Get an Irish learner permit or go ahead and do the test for the full UK licence

Unless the OP had an Irish permit before they'll need to do IBT to ride here. Seems a waste of several hundred Euro when they are getting a proper A licence shortly, assuming the OP is doing DA.

• Advertisement

Passed my Full Riding test in the UK a week ago, and now have the 800cc V-twin on the road now through AON.

They want me to register with an instructor and get a grade 2 on a road test before they will insure my CBR 600. Anybody know anything about that? Something about the CBR being in Cat 12 ins grp.

Is it difficult and how much does it cost? I'm in the Thurles, Kilkenny, Clonmel area.

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

Congrats on passing in the uk.
    Grade 2 should be handy enough to get so you'll be flying soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭RosieJoe

Well done on getting the test!

Here is a list of AON approved trainers. There are a few in your area but I cannot pass comment on any of them.

You could go straight for the assessment if you are confident in your abilities otherwise you might need to get some advanced training, this should include the insurance assessment as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

txpjl wrote: »
    Passed my Full Riding test in the UK a week ago, and now have the 800cc V-twin on the road now through AON.

They want me to register with an instructor and get a grade 2 on a road test before they will insure my CBR 600. Anybody know anything about that? Something about the CBR being in Cat 12 ins grp.

Is it difficult and how much does it cost? I'm in the Thurles, Kilkenny, Clonmel area.

Thanks

do you mind telling us how the UK test thing worked ? Was it one of those residential 3/5 day courses, with a test at the end, etc ?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    do you mind telling us how the UK test thing worked ? Was it one of those residential 3/5 day courses, with a test at the end, etc ?

yes, they have a Direct Access program that you take and have to pass two Modular exams.

I started with the CBT in London and did the theory test up in Derry.

Then back to London to start the Direct Access course. I did it over 3 days and cost 550 sterling. 3 days bike hire, 3 days instruction and 2 exams paid for Mod 1 and Mod 1 and equipment. I had to pass Mod 1 before you can book Mod 2.

P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,766 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

txpjl wrote: »
    yes, they have a Direct Access program that you take and have to pass two Modular exams.

I started with the CBT in London and did the theory test up in Derry.

Then back to London to start the Direct Access course. I did it over 3 days and cost 550 sterling. 3 days bike hire, 3 days instruction and 2 exams paid for Mod 1 and Mod 1 and equipment. I had to pass Mod 1 before you can book Mod 2.

P

Well done - I like the Plan.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

Advertisement