Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

jack dempsey problem

Options
  • 30-06-2011 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭

Ive got a few juvenile cichlids in a 450 liter tank but ive got a bit of a problem.
    I bought a green terror and green texas both about 2 cm and then got the jack 2 days later, hes slightly smaller than the others.
    The other 2 fish wont let him out of the corner of the tank or let him feed.
    Could i put him in a 50 liter tank until hes big enough to defend himself or should i just give him up.
    Any expert opinions?? :p

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

Are they physically attacking him or just keeping him penned into the corner? The chances are that when you add more fish the whole structure of the group will change again. With them all being fairly aggressive cichlids there will always be one super dominant fish in there. You could separate him but I think he'll be ok when more fish are added. Unless they are nipping and attacking him, then I'd move him.

• Registered Users Posts: 307 ✭✭keithb93

well there is the 3 cichlids, a severum, 5 silver dollars and a big pleco so im reluctant to add any more.
    The plec rules the tank with the green terror number 2.
    The green texas and green terror chases the jd into the corner of the tank and chase him back when he leaves.
    Funny thing is when i first put the jd in, the green texas and jd were swimming head to tail against each other.
    Ive created some caves for him but he wont go in to them or eat any food... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 217 ✭✭Cameron Poe

ah right, didn't realize you had other fish in there. you could try rearranging the decor on the chance that the other cichlids might lose their territories. in a fairly established tank you may have some trouble getting them to leave him alone.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

change the rock around and break up the territories. this should help

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 318 ✭✭chris139ryan

this happened in my cichlid tank as well a while back when i added other cichlids. this behaviour will stop after about a week, its just about dominance mainly and i wouldnt add anymore fish.

• Advertisement

thanks for the help guys,
    I completely rearranged the decor and added some fake plants so the jd is doing much better.
    its still being chased but just but not as much and eating now.
    ill just have to wait and see although the green texas is now twice its size and the terror is 3 times :eek:

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,209 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

the green terror is terror by name and terror by nature. regardless of what you do I think you will always have problems

godtabh wrote: »
    the green terror is terror by name and terror by nature. regardless of what you do I think you will always have problems

well the green terror completely ignores the jd now that its so small, its the texas thats the problem. i suppose its all the luck of the draw with cichlids.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 tired insomniac

i'd take him out. i had bala sharks and a siamese fighting fish in a tank together. my buddy needed space so put a few chiclids in my tank for a few days. came down the next morning and they ate my balas stomaches and the fighters fins and tail. he was still alive but couldnt swim. twas awful to see so i had to put him out of his misery. chiclids will eat anything imo. i dont trust them with other fish any more
    edit and i had a sort of catfish which they ate too. and he never even interacted with the other fish...he was my favorite

Advertisement