Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help - Dog Boarding Wicklow

Options
  • 30-06-2011 9:27am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 7

Hi All,

Desperately need your help! Myself and my fiancé are going to a wedding next week and will be away for two nights in Mayo. My Mum's partner was going to take our dog, but he has to work now. So we are going to have to board him.

We have a large 1.5 yr old lurcher (greyhound cross) and he is so sweet natured and affectionate, but he is still learning and so his recall is still not great and he is still a bit pully on the lead. We have two cats that we have boarded before, but I have no experience boarding dogs. So I don't know whether they take dogs that are a little bit big and boisterous.

Does anyone know of a good boarding kennel that would be well able for a dog like him? We want to know he'll be somewhere where he'll be comfy and looked after, you know yourself :)

This is really stressing me out so any help would be much appreciated

Thanks a mill

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Bear - I know the perfect place for a big boisterous youngster. But it's in Kilcullen co Kildare. Which is only 20 mins to some parts of Wicklow but may be a very long drive for you :)

http://www.kilrottkennels.net/index.html

EDIT: I wouldn't leave my dog anywhere else tbh.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Bear_82

Thanks a mill Whispered. Only thing I just realised is that he never got his kennel cough vac, and at this stage I assume we don't have time to get it as they need you to have it done a few weeks beforehand?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

If it's a week away and you can get it done today or tomorrow you MIGHT be ok. But you'll have to check. Just be aware that some kennels wont take a dog for a few weeks after the KC vax because sometimes the dog can develop a cough due to the vaccine but the owner automatically thinks it's the kennel. So they're covering themselves really.

If I were you I'd ring a kennel or two and see what they say.

An alternative might be a home border who isn't booked for the night. They might take a dog without KC vax if they have no other dog there. But I can't recommend anybody because I don't use them, Harley has been going up to Keith since he was a little brat of a pup (he's now a big brat of a dog :o) .

Best of luck with your search!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Bit late but I've put my lurcher in the DSPCA boarding kennels and he got on great up there.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mill Donal. We ended up having someone stay in our house with him for the couple of days. But we'll be on honeymoon for over 2 weeks at the end of August, so will defo look into the DSPCA. Great to give them some much needed funds too :)

Cool - I'd look soon too, as they're getting booked out a lot in advance! Summer holidays and everything.

VioletB, just seeing your message now. My God, that is just awful! If anything happened to my cats or dog I would be devastated! It would be a loss to our family. Jesus, I'd be suing the kennels! Surely they must claim responsibility legally?

Ah cheers Donal. Will do. Yet another thing to add to the to do list :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Violetb

Bear_82 my friend is pregnant and has had some health complications so going through a long legal process isn't an option for her at the moment. She did contact the ISPCA and reported it to them, they unfortunately said there was nothing that they could do. There are no official bodies that look after kennels like there are in other countries, which is crazy because when something like this happens there is nobody to report bad kennels to. People need to be so careful where they leave their animals as the industry is not regulated at all. Hopefully this will change at some point in the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭fenris

we use Corncrake kennels near Newtown mt Kennedy

http://www.corncrakekennels.com/index.html

have always found them good with big dogs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement