Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Need some help with TvP

• 30-06-2011 12:36am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 57 ✭✭

I'm having major difficulties with mass zealot/ht/archon protoss lately. basically never winning a game unless the other player ****s up terribly or is just bad. My old MMM build which is tailored for colossus is getting wrecked, and i haven't been able to come up with anything new. Tried mixing in tanks (worse than marauders against chargelots) hellions, lots of ghosts, or banshees or whatever, still getting drowned in zealots. Its not my macro, which while not perfect, is always keeping base or often ahead of the toss.

Any advice?

I'm gold level matching against high platinum atm btw

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Double engi bay with constant ups going as the protoss will have at least 1 forge chronoing ups and u need to keep up, alot of ghosts, emp wrecks this combo and tonnes of medivacs with a healthy amount of marines. But emps are whats most crucial.

In engagements just blanket emp his whole army with cloaked ghosts, then try focus fire the archons(will take like 1-2 shots after 2 emps, can use the ghosts to snipe them) and just kite the zealots, with enough medivacs chargelots are pretty horrible without any aoe from templars/collosus

Try fight in chokes and dont let the zealots surround.

Also mixing in a few blue flame helions theoretically sounds like it would be amazing v the zealots.

Cloak for ghosts is pretty important too as obs are easy to snipe early on and likely the toss wont be replacing them if he gets a robo at all.

Going fast ghosts also allows you to do 8-9 min timing pushings that emp sentrys off 2 bases which are pretty amazing as they hit before collosus or storm is done and can do insane damage

Some of this advice might be 100% wrong and your probably better off searching for a thread about this on TL. But most of this seems logical from my perspective.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Possibly look up Thorzain's Rine/Tank/Shee one base push in TvP, its pretty hard to hold off if you do it right.

Feel free to add me btw - Feanor/980, for some help.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Would love to help you out, man, as I had a major problem with Toss before as well but haven't played the game in weeks. If DeMuslim has released any replays lately though I'd definitely have a look at them because he was really enthusiastic about the versatility of the matchup.

Good luck. I personally prefer a drop-heavy strat against a Protoss but I'm only a 900 Rating Masters player so I just abuse people not being able to fully multitask. (Hi Funky <3 :P)

Other than that when Funky's playing again he's really good vs Toss and gave me 100's of great games but he's also around 700 (?)+ Masters.

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Decerto

Heres a replay of me v 1600 masters terran going zealot archon, he lost due to not playing safe enough v dts and not getting upgardes(like i said) but apart from that composition choices were good, ghost marauder blue hellion seems the ideal comp v it

• Registered Users Posts: 41 anfionn

Rule No 1

Everything you say must be supported by evidence

H] Help threads.

Post a replay, give your own analysis, get help!

The classic “Why did I lose this game?”. For these threads it is absolutely required that you post a replay. No exceptions. Nobody is going to be able to help you if you won’t post a replay.

Additionally, first put some thought into what happened in the game, and include your own analysis into the thread. It might be wrong, but try your best. It doesn’t have to be long, a few point form lines is enough to give people a starting point to give you advice. Your thread won’t last if you won’t put any effort in it.

If you have specific questions, ask them along with your analysis. It’s always easier to reply if we know what exactly you need help with.

<source: teamliquid forum guide>

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

anfionn wrote: »
    Rule No 1

Everything you say must be supported by evidence

H] Help threads.

Post a replay, give your own analysis, get help!

The classic “Why did I lose this game?”. For these threads it is absolutely required that you post a replay. No exceptions. Nobody is going to be able to help you if you won’t post a replay.

Additionally, first put some thought into what happened in the game, and include your own analysis into the thread. It might be wrong, but try your best. It doesn’t have to be long, a few point form lines is enough to give people a starting point to give you advice. Your thread won’t last if you won’t put any effort in it.

If you have specific questions, ask them along with your analysis. It’s always easier to reply if we know what exactly you need help with.

<source: teamliquid forum guide>

last time i looked this was not team liquid forum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

Manuva wrote: »
    I'm gold level matching against high platinum atm btw

I'm pretty sure any build you do is going about 1-2mins later than what a masters level player would have. Make more ****, faster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 38 CluEleSs!?

Definitely making more stuff will help! but other than that, ghosts are a MUST and harassing earlier on with drops etc are a must to deal with it. Don't be afraid to expand aggressively/often (archon/ht is immobile as ****) and if in the midgame, some kind of BFhellion usage can help deal with the zealots, or even banshees (beware the feedback though). Tbh, ghost/marauder/BFH is a supersupersuper strong combo though (in all matchups). But at your level, making more stuff quicker is probably the key. (sorry to sound condescending!)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

Take your first two dropships, fill one up with marines and drop it on top of your opponent's main mineral line, and then take the rest of your army and engage his main army and try to drag it away from the drop. If he takes the whole of his army to stop the drop then stim and take out his natch and run home, if he halves his army then stim his natch and go kill **** etc.

99% of plat or lower Toss players have no idea how to defend in two places at once at the same time.

Also, always open 1 rax FE, into three rax, into fast medivacs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,812 ✭✭✭IRL_Sinister

Why was boards.ie compared to TL in some way? :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 25 michaelyou

check out day9 podcasts, they will teach you alot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 MekanicWombat

Standard bio balls + ghosts wreck really archon/zealot heavy compositions unless they have a pronounced upgrade advantage, so keep track of those.

I personally drop the double forge shortly after my natural is done (but I expand off one gate 20-24 supply), and start getting fast upgrades.

Sacrifice marines and get an idea of where his army is, scan key tech structures. If you catch him out of position and snipe his forges or his twilight before charge completes you have a massive advantage

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

From the perspective of a terran player who moved to protoss I've had some intricute games recently.

As Terran I would simply go MMM and it was an easy win. As time progressed I threw some ghosts in the mix.

TvP was probably my strongest matchup and I never feared it going in.

Now as Protoss, I pretty much **** my brick.

The mix of Marines and Marauders with conc shell and stim, supported by medivacs is harrowing enough, throw in that a unit that can whip my shields away then I'm in serious trouble.

I've moved to the more Chargelot Archon/HT build myself and noticing that against Terrans I'm hving much better results, but this is only when they don't have ghosts.

As Terran the 1/1/1 is still relatively strong in ladder play from what I can see aswell.

I'd look at the MMM with ghosts and 1/1/1

I'd say that might get you some confidence atleast in the matchup and atleast they can be a good backup plan if your main builds etc are just not working.

Advertisement