Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How to skip floppy error without keyboard?

Options
  • 30-06-2011 12:12am
    Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭

I'm on a J1 and some lad was throwing out an old Compaq PC. I hooked it up to a TV and I'm planning on using it to watch movies.

Thing is I have no keyboard and theres no point in buying one because I'm only here for a few more weeks.

Problem is when I try to boot the computer it says 'floppy error, hit xxx to continue'. There is a floopy drive but I don't have a floppy cable.

Is there any way around this? All I have is a mouse. I've no problem shorting a few wires if thats what it takes!

Let me know if i should have posted in Building/upgrading or Overclocking/Modding!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,718 ✭✭✭✭JonathanAnon

You can get a keyboard here for a tenner.. You'd surely pick up a free one somewhere, from a recycling place or something.. Plus if you only have a mouse you're gonna need to become an expert in the "on screen keyboard" very quickly...

There may be somewhere that you can turn off the keybaord test in the BIOS, but you will need an F2 key (and thus a keyboard) to get in to the BIOS in the first place..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Yup,
    You are pretty much lost without a keyboard. Your bios settings state that there is a floppy drive, so the error will continue until you either get a keyboard or a floppy cable.
    No way around this.
    Either one could be got for next to nothing - I would recommend the keyboard and disable the floppy drive in the BIOS.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭choons

Thanks for the replies.

Picked up a keyboard for $10 in Kmart and everything is running along nicely!

VGA cable was $14 in Staples and I ordered a network cable on ebay for 99c . . . Full media center for under $25 - Sweet :D

Advertisement