Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slight sound driver issue after Windows 7 upgrade

Options
  • 30-06-2011 12:07am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,780 ✭✭✭

Hello, after recently upgrading to windows 7 from xp on my Packard Bell imedia 2770 one of the first things i noticed was my front panel audio stopped working, i.e. no sound through my headphones. I have my speakers plugged in the back & before the upgrade would always use the front for my headphones.

Quick google & i found out this is quiet a common problem but i found a fix described in this link:

http://www.alltipsandtricks.com/realtek-front-panel-audio-not-working-windows-7/

Realtek HD Audio was the program that came on the computer from the start with xp so i went ahead & downloaded the latest version & used the fix described in the link.

Now the problem is that Realtek doesn’t seem to retain the settings after i restart the computer meaning if i want the front panel connection to work I’ve to go in & tick the box everytime. & also Realtek doesn't seem to load up in the system tray on start up straight away & instead seems to reinstall everytime, i get a loading type icon in the tray first then a pop up saying drivers installed.

I imagine the fact it keeps reinstalling itself is why it’s not retaining settings?

I'm using the Realtek program cos there seems to be no way to get the front panel working with windows only. I've seen fixes mentioning going into the bios & making sure that the front panel audio is set to AC 97 not HD(in the link above & loads of other sites) but when i go into my bios i see absolutely nothing like what is described, no mention of 'CHIPSET' or any mention of any audio related settings.

To summarise: all the fixes on see on the net mention the realtek fix but it doesn’t seem to stay fixed on my machine.

Any advice?

Advertisement