Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bird of Prey - ID?

Options
  • 29-06-2011 10:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭

Hi All,

On tuesday morning I noticed a number of swallows/house martins chasing what I initially thought was shaped very like a Kestrel.

I observed the bird of prey for about 10mins. It was a really clear morning and not a cloud in the sky. The bird climbed up to a serious height and just seemed to circle around. Does this sound more like the actions of a Buzzard rather than a Kestrel? If so, would the Buzzard not take out the much smaller swallows/house martins?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭snowstreams

If it was falcon shaped, i.e. a similar shape to a kestrel I would say that its a peregrine falcon or a merlin. Buzzards wouldn't bother with swallows or house martins. The only other bird that would attack swallows could have been a sparrowhawk but they wouldn't go up very high like that for long periods of time.
    So your best bet would be peregrine falcon, although it could have been a kestrel that was fond of swallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,650 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

If it was falcon shaped, i.e. a similar shape to a kestrel I would say that its a peregrine falcon or a merlin. Buzzards wouldn't bother with swallows or house martins. The only other bird that would attack swallows could have been a sparrowhawk but they wouldn't go up very high like that for long periods of time.
    So your best bet would be peregrine falcon, although it could have been a kestrel that was fond of swallows.

Another possiblity would be a Hobby - an outside chance yes but this species would be more likely to target hirundians then the others

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Maybe I'm wrong but I read the OP to say this Raptor was NOT taking the Swallows/Martins but that they were chasing it.

It sounds like Buzzard behaviour but the description is confusing. Buzzards would not usually take adult Hirundines. The shape is nothing like a Kestrel and the size is so different. I thought Peregrine at first but again there is a huge size difference and it would not be chased off by Swallows.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Sounds pretty much like a typical swallow/Sparrowhawk interaction to me to be honest.

I see swallows harrass my regular male sprawk on a regular basis and his response is generally to gain altitude and circle.

• Registered Users Posts: 944 ✭✭✭swifts need our help!

sparrowhawks soar on rounded wings

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

sparrowhawks soar on rounded wings

The OP said that he saw a bird that may have looked a bit like a kestrel in shape.

People often mix up a kestrel and a sparrowhawk from distance when looking at the bird from underneath as they can appear very similar.

kestrel.jpg

sparrowhawk-9.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

Kess73 wrote: »
    Sounds pretty much like a typical swallow/Sparrowhawk interaction to me to be honest.

I see swallows harrass my regular male sprawk on a regular basis and his response is generally to gain altitude and circle.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Berger1

based on details given that sounds very like a Buzzard.they are becoming quite common and spend alot of time soaring in cirlces at height.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 CillDaraAbu10

Kess73 wrote: »
    The OP said that he saw a bird that may have looked a bit like a kestrel in shape.

People often mix up a kestrel and a sparrowhawk from distance when looking at the bird from underneath as they can appear very similar.

kestrel.jpg

sparrowhawk-9.jpg
    stunning photo love it

Advertisement