Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Getting back in to fishing

Options
  • 29-06-2011 10:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭

I used to be an avid fisher / angler when I was younger but stopped back in the late 90's, I'd love to get back in to it.

My budget if fairly minimal but I'd appreciate any suggestions for a starter kit, I'd probably be fishing along the canals and possibly the Liffey (not sure if the same gear would work for both).

I'm based around Lucan in Dublin by the way.

Thanks in advance
    Al

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 496 ✭✭surripere

Get a 13ft waggler rod and a match reel (with spare spools). Load spools with 3lb and 1.5lb Maxima line. Other tackle required would be waggler floats, hooks 14-20, weights etc. This will sort u for canal fishing. I can sort you out with all this for a fair price if you like.Not sure how the canal around Lucan/Leixlip is fishing these days, was great back in the day before all the poaching. For the Liffey you need a swimfeeder set up, then again u could always float fish it with with the aforementioned gear. I don't know if the fishing is any good there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,721 ✭✭✭Kells...

There's no coarse fish in the liffey iirc.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,048 ✭✭✭thehamo

There's no coarse fish in the liffey iirc.

There are perch a plenty down by islandbridge. Caught some big lads down there before. Pike too. But agreed it's mainly a trout river

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

there used to be millions of roach not sure if they're still around but i used to get about 100 in a few hours on bread.

Advertisement