Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coopers Lager

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Having read a few recent threads about how hard it is to make lager am I wasting my time with my Coopers Canadian Blonde (now 10 days into the process)?

I was hoping for a simple light Miller/Bud/Coors taste. Has anyone tried the Coopers Lagers? Are they any good? Is it that they taste 'aley'? or what is the story.

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    am I wasting my time with my Coopers Canadian Blonde (now 10 days into the process)?
    You won't know until you taste the finished product. You might like it.
    I was hoping for a simple light Miller/Bud/Coors taste.
    Your best bet is to serve your homebrew very cold -- that'll get you a lot of the way there.
    Has anyone tried the Coopers Lagers?
    Yes.
    Are they any good?
    Not really, IMO.
    Is it that they taste 'aley'?
    Bad ones, made with table sugar, can be quite cidery and tangy. They're better when they're aley: beefed up with spraymalt and extra hops.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Thanks Beernut for your candour!
    I'll se how the lager works out. Cold is the way forward!

I quite fancy Paulaner weissbeer. Lightly sweet - which I like. Is that more reachable target? Any kits you might recommend if it is possible.

Unfortunately I'm not really into ale... the broadness of the taste (which seems to be a delight to so many) turns me off. Light and possibly even a little sweet are more my thing. I so need to broaden my palate, but as the fella says we must pray as we can not as we can't.

Also is it possible to make a cider that is not a million miles from say Bulmers? Again any simple kits you might recommend would be great. Thanks

Paul

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Try the Coopers APA (Australian Pale Ale). I knocked that up with 1 kilo of spraymalt and threw in some extra hops and it is a great light summer beer, ice cold. Nothing 'aley' about it. The yeast is also a mix of ale and lager yeast, but you make the kit to ale temperatures.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Weissbier is doable, but I couldn't name any specific kit. Try some of the Brewferm Belgian kits: there's a few sweet ones there.
    Also is it possible to make a cider that is not a million miles from say Bulmers?
    Yikes! No, I doubt it. Bulmers contains so much sugar it's not really a cider. Cider's easy to make without using a kit: just apple juice and yeast. But you'll end up with something much drier than Bulmers. Non-fermentable sugar like Splenda can be added at the conditioning stage, or you can sweeten with apple juice when serving, but it won't be anything like Bulmers.

Budweiser, Miller, Coors, Bulmers will always just be easier to buy pre-made than attempt at home.

Advertisement