Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Outdoor activity instructor Course - FÁS

Options
  • 29-06-2011 8:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭

Hi i was wondering if anyone here had any experience with the Outdoor pursuits course run by FÁS?

If so could you explain what you thought of it and what were the core requirements of getting onto it, other than being unemployed :P

I am interested in trying out for this however there are only 18 places and over 100 applicants so i am looking to see if there is anything that I could do that might better my chances of getting a place on this.

Cheers!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

Well i have not been on this course but id say if you want to be one of the 18 or so you should have some exp. in Outdoor stuff allready! also show them you are able to work as part of team, and that u have the stuff to lead people! (magment and all that) - they say - "You should have excellent communication skills and enjoy working with children, adults and groups. You must be able to swim and cope with heights and have average athletic ability. Previous experience in outdoor activities would be an advantage"
    so find something you have done that shows u have covered that and then you are the right person! and they will take you....

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Cheers man (or woman) em, ive checked out FÁS's site and read up on all I could find but yeah i do have experience in teaching adults and kids, i thought karate for over 2 years and I play airsoft and enjoy camping, survivor style, ask irishlostboy, he put me onto the whole thing! (cheers tim!) I also have experience kyaking, bouldering and belaying. Ive also been training in a local gym and pool to try to reach my peak physical fitness for this interview but I was wondering if there was anyone in the boards community that had been through the ropes and could give a few pointers as every interview has their pitfalls as i would like to go in prepared. as the say (whoever they are) "If you fail to prepare, then prepare to fail!"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5 naine

Hi Dwelby. I've just finished the course. Remember there is places this course is ran Kerry and then Galway/Mayo. Not sure have you applied for the course yet as interviews will be in the next few weeks I'm sure. The only requirement is being unemployed, the rest is how you sell yourself on the day. There is a short activities assessment, it's more to make sure your not too scared of heights, scared of the water and capsizing in a kayak. Experience speaks for yourself. FAS is an equality employer so they will chose some random people once they give everything a good shot.
    The course was great, I did it in Mayo in the Delphi Centre. Doesn't look like it's going to be there this year. Cappanalea OEC were running it in Kerry, they start a month later.
    By the sounds of it you'll have a good chance. HIghlight you'll continue on in the area and that you love being outdoors in the pissing rain with a smile :)
    It's a good thing if your interviewed by someone running the course and not an actual FAS rep.

• Registered Users Posts: 247 ✭✭dwelby101

Cheers naine,

that makes me feel a bit more confident!
    hopefully it will go well.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 MinkeyMonkey

naine wrote: »
    Hi Dwelby. I've just finished the course. Remember there is places this course is ran Kerry and then Galway/Mayo. Not sure have you applied for the course yet as interviews will be in the next few weeks I'm sure. The only requirement is being unemployed, the rest is how you sell yourself on the day. There is a short activities assessment, it's more to make sure your not too scared of heights, scared of the water and capsizing in a kayak. Experience speaks for yourself. FAS is an equality employer so they will chose some random people once they give everything a good shot.
    The course was great, I did it in Mayo in the Delphi Centre. Doesn't look like it's going to be there this year. Cappanalea OEC were running it in Kerry, they start a month later.
    By the sounds of it you'll have a good chance. HIghlight you'll continue on in the area and that you love being outdoors in the pissing rain with a smile :)
    It's a good thing if your interviewed by someone running the course and not an actual FAS rep.

Hey there Naine,
    My other half has just been chosen to do this course in Kerry. He's very excited about it, but can you tell me how things have gone for you since you finished? I'm just wondering about job prospects once he's trained! The other question I have is, is it always out in the centre or do they have classes in another location as well besides the outdoorsy stuff?

Thanks a million in advance!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement