Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Graduate Entry to Medicine Requirements

• 29-06-2011 5:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭

Hi! I have two questions, if anyone could offer advice that would be great.

I sat the GAMSAT this year but my score of 56 probably wont get me any offers so I am trying again next year as I really want to be a doctor. I shall be taking grind courses starting in September until the exam this time, I'm very determined and have a lot more free time this year than last time (Where I was struggling through year 4 of Natural Science in Trinners).

Now, my question is regarding the GAMSAT UK. I hear a lot of people on the boards here talking about it and am wondering what the difference is between it and the Irish GAMSAT. Apparently you can apply to Irish courses with a UK score? If so, should I sit the UK exam in September and the Irish exam next Spring? Will this give me an upper hand at all or is it a bad idea?

Secondly, in my undergraduate degree I only received a 2.2 mark. I know the requirement for graduate medicine everywhere in Ireland is a 2.1. I shall be attending Maynooth University for a year starting in September to obtain a higher diploma. Will a 2.1 in a higher diploma course be sufficient in lieu of an undergraduate 2.1? Or will I need to go on and get a masters degree in order to be accepted? I have emailed the graduate offices in the 4 universities about this but none of them have yet to get back to me.

Any input is greatly appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Yillan

Without a 2.1 undergraduate degree or better, you cannot study graduate medicine in Ireland regardless of any subsequent higher diploma or masters. 56 has been an adequate gamsat score for UL in the past, but as you don't have a 2.1, you will not be offered a place.

Your only option is to apply to St George's and Nottingham with your 2.2 and a 60+ gamsat score and hope to get an interview. That you paid to sit the gamsat without knowing this I find surprising.

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news

• Registered Users Posts: 435 ✭✭KizzyMonster

Yillan wrote: »
    That you paid to sit the gamsat without knowing this I find surprising.

Well I hadn't received my results yet when I paid for and sat the GAMSAT originally!
    But thanks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 283 ✭✭spagboll

find out if you can repeat final year to get a 2.1

• Registered Users Posts: 48 GOING4BROKE

Hi, I just received my results from Gamsat london, scored 56. I know that the UL site says 56*, does anyone have any idea as to how many people were admitted on this score? And do people reckon points will come up any time soon or follow the same trend of the last few years.
    Plan on sitting GAMSAT in March regardless.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

Hi, I just received my results from Gamsat london, scored 56. I know that the UL site says 56*, does anyone have any idea as to how many people were admitted on this score? And do people reckon points will come up any time soon or follow the same trend of the last few years.
    Plan on sitting GAMSAT in March regardless.

Just to let you know that UL was actually 54* last year but thats not to say it'll stay at that or go back up

• Advertisement

Are you sure about 54*? saw that it was 56* here - http://www3.ul.ie/courses/Medicine.php.

• Registered Users Posts: 13 nivag7

Are you sure about 54*? saw that it was 56* here - http://www3.ul.ie/courses/Medicine.php.

Ye I'm sure, I think that refers to 2010 entry. Have a look here http://www2.cao.ie/points/GraduateMedicine2011-Round-0.pdf

Ye your right, haha well that changes things a bit anyways. Thanks, still have to put the head down for March.

Advertisement