Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dell dimension hard drive problem...

Options
  • 29-06-2011 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks,

First thread in this section as iam really stuck here..

Hard drive went on my dimension 5000..(wd 160gb sata).. Bought a new 500gb sata(wd5000aakx).. Installed it and tried to install a new copy of window's XP home but it keeps blue screening( STOP 0x0000007B) after about 2 mins of install ..

Updated the BIOS from A02 to A07.. In startup utility it sees the drive and knows what it is...

So whats am i missing? Is the volume too big? Anything else i could try?? Iam really lost here now!!

Thanks in Advance!!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭Kinetic^

Virus/driver issue most likely. Could be also a faulty drive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

Pretty sure the drive is fine.. Brand new out of the bag this morning..

On dell's website there is no list for sata drivers for the 5000.. I tried the ones for the 5100 and triedd to load them up during windows install(hit F6 and install from floppy drive) but it says its missing txtsetup.oem missing..

EDIT: Just reading some stuff online and said to try change sata bios operation from normal to combination.. Didnt do anything.. Still blue screening..

Anyone any suggestions apart from fooking the whole lot in the bin!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,772 ✭✭✭Lazarus2.0

Is SATA mode set to IDE in BIOS ? Also reseat connectors etc ..

nessyguin wrote: »
    Is SATA mode set to IDE in BIOS ? Also reseat connectors etc ..

In the Bios under Drives in SATA operation there are two choices.. Normal and combination.. I have tried both options but still blue screening.. I think ive tried every solution i can find so far online.. :(

Just in the boot menu there, i did a hard drive diag and it saw the sata drive and found no problems with it..

Could be a corrupt partition. Have you tried re-installing?

• Advertisement

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Could be a corrupt partition. Have you tried re-installing?

Reinstalling the hard drive? or windows?

Reinstalling the hard drive? or windows?

Windows.

STOP 0x0000007B means that Windows cannot find the boot drive, which in your situation sounds like the installation CD. Are you installing from an internal CD drive or USB drive? Is the CD scratched at all?

The Dimension 5000 doesn't support AHCI so the usual SATA issue shouldn't apply.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭ArtyM

Hi
    I would recommend trying the following...
    Remove any all pci cards you can i.e. modem, sound, network, and graphics(if you have an onboard to fall back on). If you do switch to onboard graphics you may have to tell the BIOS.
    Disable onboard USB, sound, and lan in BIOS
    Make a copy of your installation CD and use the new one in case old one has scratches.
    Reseat Ram and consider trying the install with only 1 of your ram modules.

If install completes, begin adding each of the removed components one by one and restarting to allow install of drivers, with the graphics card last.

Hopefully this will get the job done.
    Post back if you still have problems
    Good Luck

• Registered Users Posts: 6,210 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

OP, you say "a new copy of XP Home". MS don't sell 'new' copies of XP anymore. AFAIK on earlier versions of Xp, they didn't include SATA support, I only found it on a torrented copy of XP SP3 [*]. A friend managed to slipstream SATA drivers into another release with a program called n-lite.

Hope this helps !

* I won't link it here due to site rules, but I'm sure you can find it easy enough ...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭ricman

you could install linux mint from a live cd make a partition ten gig for linux .Clean the windows cd, does it have scrathes on it,.Then make another partition for windows in ntfs format.You can always delete mint os at a later date.Can you copy the windows cd to a folder,as a way of testing the cd for errors.get the x86 cdr 699meg iso version.

Kinetic^ wrote: »
    Windows.

Yeah installing windows it where it is blue screening...
    Karsini wrote: »
    STOP 0x0000007B means that Windows cannot find the boot drive, which in your situation sounds like the installation CD. Are you installing from an internal CD drive or USB drive? Is the CD scratched at all?

The Dimension 5000 doesn't support AHCI so the usual SATA issue shouldn't apply.

Yeah its an internal cd-rom.. Didnt notice any scratcheds on the CD.. only used it about 2 weeks ago on a laptop no problems but burning afresh copy wouldn't be a bad idea!
    ArtyM wrote: »
    Hi
    I would recommend trying the following...
    Remove any all pci cards you can i.e. modem, sound, network, and graphics(if you have an onboard to fall back on). If you do switch to onboard graphics you may have to tell the BIOS.
    Disable onboard USB, sound, and lan in BIOS
    Make a copy of your installation CD and use the new one in case old one has scratches.
    Reseat Ram and consider trying the install with only 1 of your ram modules.

If install completes, begin adding each of the removed components one by one and restarting to allow install of drivers, with the graphics card last.

Hopefully this will get the job done.
    Post back if you still have problems
    Good Luck

Thanks for the suggestions.. I tried reseating the ram and installing on each stick.(2x256) but same jazz!! Ill give the other suggestions a go tonight..
    bonzodog2 wrote: »
    OP, you say "a new copy of XP Home". MS don't sell 'new' copies of XP anymore. AFAIK on earlier versions of Xp, they didn't include SATA support, I only found it on a torrented copy of XP SP3 [*]. A friend managed to slipstream SATA drivers into another release with a program called n-lite.

Hope this helps !

* I won't link it here due to site rules, but I'm sure you can find it easy enough ...

Sorry yeah just meant a new install..Disc was burned for me by a lad in work.. He suggested the n-lite option too but since we cant find specific drivers for the Dimension 5000 we gave up on that idea..

We tried the dimension drivers for the 5100 by hitting f6 at the start of install and manually specifying the drives from floppy but no joy with that one too..
    ricman wrote: »
    you could install linux mint from a live cd make a partition ten gig for linux .Clean the windows cd, does it have scrathes on it,.Then make another partition for windows in ntfs format.You can always delete mint os at a later date.Can you copy the windows cd to a folder,as a way of testing the cd for errors.get the x86 cdr 699meg iso version.

Yeah Linux is the last option as the computer is my parents and explaining some stuff in windows is hard enough never mind an operating system that i dont even use!! But i wont rule it out..

Thanks for all the suggestion folks...

My list for tonight will be:
    New install CD
    Remove PCI cards prior to install..
    Have a beer and enjoy my new foot rest!!!!

Advertisement