Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dragon Quest X

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

I hope DQX makes it to the west although chances are good since Nintendo is really pushing the DQ brand at the moment since they are bringing DQ Monsters 2 and that crappy DQ themed board game to the US at the very least.

And yes you really should play DQ8, it's wonderful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭Naphiel

Haven't played a DQ game since Dragon Warrior Monsters, and that barely counts. :pac:

I'll probably be picking this up, X and that collection if it makes it over here. I also have a copy of VIII in my house that I've yet to play. I'll get around to it or Tales of Vesperia after I finish Shin Megami Tensei Lucifer's Call.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,200 ✭✭✭Mindkiller

I remember paying about 35euro for DQviii on release day (when the standard RRP for PS2 games was usually about 60euro). Best buy ever. I haven't bothered with the rest of the series but DQVIII is one of the best games I've played, ****ty archaic combat system aside.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,881 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Get out of it, the combat system is one of the best ever. Starts off really simple until you start unlocking abilities and it starts getting more complex until the game requires you to plan out buffing your party and debuffing the enemy.

Buffing and debuffing is complicated? It's in most games. :P
    That being said I agree, from what I've seen of DQVIII it has a good battle system.

• Advertisement

Naphiel wrote: »
    Buffing and debuffing is complicated? It's in most games. :P
    That being said I agree, from what I've seen of DQVIII it has a good battle system.

Yep it is in most games but in most games it's practically useless. In Dragon Quest it's vital in later stages of the game unless you like grinding. Only other games I've seen buffs and debuffs so vital to combat were Earthbound and Mother 3 and sure their both rip offs of DQ's battle system :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Mr. K

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    Get out of it, the combat system is one of the best ever. Starts off really simple until you start unlocking abilities and it starts getting more complex until the game requires you to plan out buffing your party and debuffing the enemy.

Starting off simple is best way to create a reasonable learning curve! It sucks when RPGs get intimidatingly complex too quickly.

Mr. K wrote: »
    Starting off simple is best way to create a reasonable learning curve! It sucks when RPGs get intimidatingly complex too quickly.

Step forward Resonance of Fate :)

It's absolutely vital in Shin Megami Tensei games or you get slaughtered.

I didn't think the learning curve was that difficult in Resonance of Fate, that is if you managed to get to the tutorial before being assaulted. :pac:
    The bonus dungeon was far too easy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,268 ✭✭✭✭noodler

That first Dhoulagus fight is probably the toughest story boss I can remember in recent years for moi.

• Advertisement
Advertisement