Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

That second bicycle lock....

Options
  • 29-06-2011 12:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭

It's seems there's a million threads on bike locks and the Kryptonite Mini Evo seems to be highly regarded. People say get a different type of lock for the front. So what different type?

A big chain?
    A cable?

Looking for locks on Wiggle and there seems to be something like 96 pages.

So if I went for the mini evo for the back (or should I be getting something like that for the front?), what do people generally use as "the second lock"? And even better, can people throw a few names/types to look at?

Thanks a mill!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

i have one of the U type locks and then useing a cable for some extra protection however the U type look dose most of the work! really depends how much the bike is worth! i also have a steel lock that weights a ton and use it on my good bike when I have no other choise but to lock it up! in that case i use 3 locks (that bikes woth a hell of a lot tho!)

here is the 2 i have on my bike - http://www.evanscycles.com/products/kryptonite/evolution-mini-7-lock-with-4-foot-kryptoflex-cable-combo-ec027275
    the other lock the steel one i got in cyclebike in dublin dont know if one can get it online its 65e or there abouts and i was told out of a line of bikes that got take that rober could not get through the steel lock and gave up on that bike! host why i use it on the expensice bike as a 3 option!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,745 ✭✭✭SachaJ

Would you not be worried that if they bust the D lock that the cable one would be useless then?

true but its a cheep bike and i only use the cable so they cant get easy access to take a wheel, after that if they going to take the bike they will! host why i have a much better lock system for my good bike! it boils down to how much weight in locks you want to carry i think! as the more weight the safer the bike will be - aka a damm big chain and best lock on the markert stands the best chance yet thats going to weight too much for just a cycle down to the shops or something!

O yes re the cable you can also just buy a 2nd lock (pad lock) and run it though the other lock but just use pad lock to lock it i have done that if i was leaving the bike for a few hours but really some would say thats over kill i would think!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,711 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

My bike only really gets locked in a reasonably secure work car park, and I use a Kryptonite U lock to secure the back wheel and frame, and cable lock to secure the front wheel. I leave the locks at work, so weight is not an issue, but when you start talking about chains I guess it can start to be

The key is to make your bike less attractive to the casual thief - encourage them to move on to someone else's. A reasonalble level of secuitrty should achieve this.

Of course if someone is absolutely determined to steal your bike and have the right equipment, the level of security would be more of an irritation than something that would actually stop them.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,974 ✭✭✭✭Kintarō Hattori

There's a good question which Beasty has sort of raised. When I take my bike in the evening I always take both locks home with me and bring them again in the morning. Obviously lots of people leave their locks and chains in the place that they leave their bike, something very evident when I arrive at the station in the morning.

Does anyone here leave their lock/chains behind them or is it best to take them with you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,281 ✭✭✭Ricky91t

There's a good question which Beasty has sort of raised. When I take my bike in the evening I always take both locks home with me and bring them again in the morning. Obviously lots of people leave their locks and chains in the place that they leave their bike, something very evident when I arrive at the station in the morning.

Does anyone here leave their lock/chains behind them or is it best to take them with you?

I usually take my locks with me unless I haven't got my rucksack etc. I just see it as if you leave your locks in the open they could potentially get accidentally damaged meaning they're not as secure or they could just begin to rust and you'll end up needing to buy new ones.

Also usually I'd need to stop at a shop and I'd use the locks then.

Also what would happen if you arrived in the morning and someone had stuck something in the keyhole of your U-Lock? Would you just use the wire lock?

Cheers guys for all the info. Helps a great deal.

For my motorbike, I actually leave the locks in work. No weight issue as the bike itself is nearly 300kgs, pure laziness.

ya i dont leave my locks just dont like the idea of it i know its kinda funny , but my thinking is someone sees a nice lock there they know there will be a nice bike there or they hope so!
    also i may want my bike to go to the shops so keep my locks on me for that, i dont use rucksack just keep locks on the bike frame etc.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,542 ✭✭✭dayshah

I've 3 locks.

An Abus granit plus for main security (through the frame and front wheel)

An Abus 850 cable lock (for rear wheel and frame)

And an AXA Defender O-lock which immobilises the rear wheel.

I think the last one adds a certain panache to my locking strategy. They are similiar to the o-locks on Garda bikes, but are hard to find in Ireland. I got mine last year in France in a Decathlon when on holidays.

Of course, such bike security attracts the gentleman amateur thief, who steals not for the bike, but for the challenge.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Unregistered.

Where's a good place to buy locks online? Where is cheapest to delivery to ireland?

Where's a good place to buy locks online? Where is cheapest to delivery to ireland?

I've been looking at wiggle.co.uk

The Kryptonite Pro Evo is £40 whereas it's €70 in town. Free delivery too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 robr32

wiggle are great, take 4-6 days to deliver to dublin, make sure you remove priority dispatch, it doesn't cut down the time. in my experience their customer service is great and but they will not price match.

sign up with them, as they regularly send out 15% off codes. I recently bought the Krypr mini 7 and 4" cable for £43, couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else. it has a £900 one year guarantee if someones brakes their lock and steals your bike.

rob.

robr32 wrote: »
    sign up with them, as they regularly send out 15% off codes. I recently bought the Krypr mini 7 and 4" cable for £43, couldn't find it cheaper anywhere else. it has a £900 one year guarantee if someones brakes their lock and steals your bike.

rob.
    That's the lock I'm looking at, though I don't think that guarantee applies in ireland?

Does anyone have any 15% codes that they're not using? I'd like to buy this tomorrow, I'd happily trade you my code in the future:D

Ordered the mini 7 + 4ft cable from Evans last night for £31! £10 off for a price match :D

Ordered the mini 7 + 4ft cable from Evans last night for £31! £10 off for a price match :D
    how you get that im about to buy a 2nd one! id like 10 off it! Pm or post info plz!

Whitehawk wrote: »
    how you get that im about to buy a 2nd one! id like 10 off it! Pm or post info plz!
    http://www.evanscycles.com/help/price-promise

Only problem is you can't get the free water bottle they're giving out on orders over £25 :(

• Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

Hi,

Do people think the 4ft cable is long enough, or are you better off with the 7ft one?

Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

agentgreen wrote: »
    Hi,

Do people think the 4ft cable is long enough, or are you better off with the 7ft one?

Thanks

Get the 7ft as will reach around both wheels and if someday you can't get your U lock around frame and rear wheel. I loop mine through the mud gards and rear carrier as well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 635 ✭✭✭agentgreen

thank you!

agentgreen wrote: »
    Hi,

Thanks

80X5XUNX74.jpg

That's the 4 foot one! Both wheels secured.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,331 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

^^^^^^

wtf?!

^^^^^^

wtf?!
    Nice bike, isn't it? :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

2433257992_d0f3004f9b_o.jpg:D

DominoDub wrote: »
    2433257992_d0f3004f9b_o.jpg:D

Sure, the bike rack doesn't look as if it's secured to the ground!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,194 ✭✭✭saa

Thank god all my friends, including those who cycle think I'm mad for using two locks!

I spent 35 quid (a lot for someone on 80 pw) on a Kryptonite D lock and its not even big enough to fit around the back wheel I wonder should I buy a longer one?

Also have a thick cabel lock got it for a tenner on Camden street when I was using a really old bike

Now I got a 200 euro city-ish bike at the start of the year, hopefully it looks a little more run down so no one will steal it

But I'm sickened that it has a quick release saddle how can I secure this grr.

saa wrote: »
    Thank god all my friends, including those who cycle think I'm mad for using two locks!

I spent 35 quid (a lot for someone on 80 pw) on a Kryptonite D lock and its not even big enough to fit around the back wheel I wonder should I buy a longer one?

Also have a thick cabel lock got it for a tenner on Camden street when I was using a really old bike

Now I got a 200 euro city-ish bike at the start of the year, hopefully it looks a little more run down so no one will steal it

But I'm sickened that it has a quick release saddle how can I secure this grr.

Change the quick release to a bolt and nut

80X5XUNX74.jpg

That's the 4 foot one! Both wheels secured.

Nice. I just got the same lock - never would have thought of locking it the same way.

• Advertisement

SachaJ wrote: »
    Nice. I just got the same lock - never would have thought of locking it the same way.
    Sometimes you can lock the back wheel and the frame to a bike stand (depending on the sizes of everything) and you only need the cable to wrap around front wheel.

Advertisement