Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cats & Balcony

Options
  • 29-06-2011 9:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Anyone have a good recommendation on what to do with cats on a balcony. Myself and the missus are getting two kittens shortly and I am wondering how safe it is to let them out on the balcony (obviously not at first but once they have grown a little) as I live on a top floor.
    The balcony itself is covered by glass however there are gaps at the bottom and beside each pane that a cat will easily get through. I know they are not stupid enough to just jump through & fall but I'm just worried about the chance they will jump over it and off. The top only has a cilindar hand rail like this CLICKY and if the cats even tried to jump on top, they would fall as it has no grip. If anyone knows the apartments in Heywood Court, Santry they know the balcony I'm talking about.

Any ideas on what to do? I have been thinking of getting a Velcro fly screen around the door leading onto the balcony so they could not get through. We could not keep the door closed during summer as it gets very warm.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,062 ✭✭✭Dixie Chick

Could you block those openings with some kind of discreet fish netting that will stop them trying to squish through?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Net it off with cat netting. Then they can do as they please out there and not worry you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,596 ✭✭✭anniehoo

Net it off with cat netting. Then they can do as they please out there and not worry you.
    +1 although be careful what you put up. Mgt Co.s are very strict on whats allowed on balconies at the best of times. Some of my neighbours have this bamboo type thing that weaves in and out and reaches from the top to the bottom of the railings.Not convinced that'd be too secure though!

My cat fell off my balcony twice when i first got him (not hurt) and hasnt done it since and now sits quite happily on it with no accidents or messing. He's learned his lesson :p

• Registered Users Posts: 997 ✭✭✭MsFifers

Definitely get the netting. When I lived in a 2nd floor apt, both of my cats fell out the window on seperate occasions. They were grand but a bit shook! One has a real fear of heights every since which is a bit funny in a cat. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

anniehoo wrote: »
    My cat fell off my balcony twice when i first got him (not hurt) and hasnt done it since

He lost two of his nine lives ;)

Go with the netting OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

zooplus.ie and zooplus.co.uk have balcony netting I think.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Hi looking for similar advice, he loves being out on the balcony but once a bird flew by and he was ready to jump but I caught him before he could would have gone over otherwise. So the picture is basically my apartment block and we'd be on the first floor so could you put the netting up to the second floor to block it off? Also is it very noticeable?

lilsis wrote: »
    Also is it very noticeable?
    Done correctly (probably a fine mesh) it could look ok, but to be honest (im an apartment and cat owner) i would not be impressed if this wasnt done right. It would look awful and id hate to see something like that constructed on someones balcony unless it was very discreet! We're not even allowed have washing lines.bikes etc left on our balconies.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭lilsis

Well we are allowed washing lines and bikes and plants and stuff but I don't want it to look awful. That's why I asked, I don't want to buy one and then not use it. Although I have neighbours that have what looks like a straw beach mat around their balcony, they're obviously allowed it, but i wonder if that would work either? It's not the whole way up but up to the hand rail.

Check out the customer photos on Zooplus for their netting here If you have bars like i do, similar to this pic it looks discreet enough if it was secured somehow to the the railings.

catw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭Noxin

Thanks for the replies here guys. I'll get the netting from Zooplus and try it out.

Advertisement