Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hedgehog advice needed

Options
  • 29-06-2011 7:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 12

Hi all
    I need some advice on this, three nights ago there was a hedgehog at my back door I have seen her a few times over the past month. I gave her some canned dog food, she wasn’t scared at all. She took the food and went back into the hedge beside the house. The next day I went looking at where she went in and couldn’t believe it but there were three small hedgehogs rustling around with her.
    The problem is the hedge they are in was a griselinia which has died and they are under only about 6 inches of leaves, I can see them move about during the day
    Should I move them?
    I have a large garden on the other side of the house with a veg patch and lots of long grass about ¼ acre I could make a box there for them but should I? They are very exposed where they are.

Any advice greatly appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

I would leave them be. The mother should be able to take care of them just fine. You might consider installing a hedgehog box for them. Place it in a sheltered spot nearby (no direct sunlight) and put a little dogfood at the entrance to attract her. She may well move in with her young. You can build a fancy box from plans available online, or just use on upturned wooden box with an entrance hole cut in one side. Here's a link to the RSPB site:

http://www.rspb.org.uk/advice/gardening/homes_for_mammals/hedgehogs.aspx

Google will come up with many more useful sites.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 BettyBlue

Thanks so much for that , There are actually 4 babies ! they are soo beautiful
    will get a box to put beside them because the dog from next door was in barking at them this morning, luckily my own dogs don't take much notice :)

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 4,319 ✭✭✭Half-cocked

If possible without disturbing them ,can you get a picture and post it here?

I hope this works ! This is mammy :)

This is one of the babies :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 890 ✭✭✭CrinkElite

nice!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,939 ✭✭✭goat2

i would quietly put some twigs and branches around the place, avoiding disturbing them, to make them look more hidden, just cut off some little branches and build it up gently around the perimiter, that way no other animal will see them and the young will grow strong in no time, seeing that picture it would be easy to do, put garden gloves on while you are doing it, so she will not smell you off it, build it up like a tent,

My hedgehogs have moved on it was obviously too open where they were . I put a box in with some leaves and branches but they didn't use it :( .

It was soo amazing while it lasted and I never knew baby hedgehogs moved about so much during the day , I felt so privileged to see them .
    Nature is amazing :D

Here are some of my memories of my little hedgehog friends :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Pixywish

Awww, your pics are so cute! Such sweet lil animals...:)

Advertisement