Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which ROM for HTC Desire

Options
  • 29-06-2011 12:13am
    Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭

I've decided to go ahead and root this device and sure I may as well install Gingerbread while I'm at it. I'm not too worried about the procedure as I've done this in the past with older phones (N95 & XDA Orbit) and have found some pretty clear guides on XDA.

I'm looking for advice on which ROM to go with...Cyanogen and Leedroid seem to be the favourites here I think? What's the ADW launcher like on CM?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

i was a villainRom man myself. not a fan of adw, always went launcher pro with all roms

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

theteal wrote: »
    i was a villainRom man myself. not a fan of adw, always went launcher pro with all roms
    I'm running oxygen and launcher pro and very happy.
    I'd been running cm7 but I kept having problems.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

I'm on CM7, one of the older Release Candidates, there's a more stable version available but I haven't had any trouble with the RC so haven't bother flashing the stable version.

I use GO Launcher Ex, they have a nice widget that replicates the Sense contacts widget which I missed. I also use GO Dialer which gives the nice alpha-numeric lookup from Sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭lassykk

I use Insert Coin which has most of the latest toys on it. Battery life is great too. Only minor niggle is a tiny bit of lag occassionally but I hear that can be solved by changing the HBOOT to CM7 HBOOT.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1016940

• Registered Users Posts: 304 ✭✭gavtron

CM7 for me right now. Oxygen before that which was very good and even OpenDesire was quite a good ROM, not sure if it's still in development right now. Think AdamG might be focusing on Oxygen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

I'm not sure which one I'm going to go for - I've used the stock for the year I've had it for and been happy enough with sense. Then again, that's all I've known so I don't know what I'm missing with some of the other launchers?

Seems to me that the preferences are largely determined by which launcher to use.

BTW the reason I've decided after a year to do this is cos I'm utterly sick of the lack of space on this thing. An ext3 partition will be created as part of this update.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭griffdaddy

I was using Leedroid 3.07 app2sd+ until last night, then I decided to check out InsertCoin. Was glad I did. Although Leedroid was a nice, fast stable Gingerbread rom, it didn't look all that different from stock Froyo, apart from the app2sd obviously. This was largely on account of it using the older version of Sense. InsertCoin works brilliantly and merges sense 2.1 with 3.0, bringing in a whole new set of features, including access to HTC Sense on the internet with phone locator, locker etc.It also fixes a few things that used to annoy me in sense, like how sometimes an incoming call would be answered or rejected by my leg swiping against the phone in my pocket. I can't really comment on battery cause i've only had it for a few hours, but all calls, texts and internet use have gone well and played flash etc just fine. Give it a whirl and see what you think. I haven't mentioned CM7, but I had that for about a week before Leedroid. Found it a bit too minimalist for my taste, although that is kinda the point of it. Never really took to other launchers either, just find Sense nice and intuitive.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Think I'm gona root and stick a rom on my Desire this evening. I really like sense and I think sense 3.0 looks great.
    Can anyone recommend a good rom with all the goodness of sense 3.0.
    Im thinking I might go with AceSMod007

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

I'm using RCMix from xda - got sense 3.0 seems pretty damn cool so far B-)

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=988570

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭Lochlannach

I rooted and went s-off a couple of nights ago...been running InstallCoin (Gingerbread and latest Sense) and am reasonably pleased with it.

There are improvements in a few of the Sense things that annoyed me before - the lock screen is more useful and speeds up access to stuff (i.e. you can go straight to one of 4 configurable apps as part of the unlock). The main apps menu is improved by the page like setup. The "Quick Settings" means I don't have to clutter up my screen with icons to turn on/off wifi, gps, etc. I've also removed the space issues by doing this (1GB ext4 on SD).

I was hoping for a battery improvement but I doubt there's any. Also, and I stress this is no fault of the ROM, Sygic mobile maps will not run on Gingerbread.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,279 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Oxygen ROM for me, efficient, fast and clean. Great battery life

• Registered Users Posts: 382 ✭✭seeing_ie

CM7 running s-on the last while.

Just wanted a basic no-fuss ROM, haven't had the time to play around with it much.

Seems very well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,070 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

Rooted my desire there due to lack of space for apps. First of all I partitioned my sd card and installed Leedroid. Had to get rid of it as it was too laggy. Then unpartitioned and tried cm7. Had it running for a couple of hours but kept getting force close messages for android.process.media. Also forcing all non system apps to the sd card still didn't save my lack of space issue.

To be honest this is the kinda crap why I never wanted to root in the first place, if my phone had another 500mb of internal storage for apps then I wouldn't see the point. It's too much hassle.

Is there a decent stable rom out there that's not going to give me headaches and leave me googling solutions for buggy roms?

• Registered Users Posts: 115 ✭✭Lawstud

Rooted my desire there due to lack of space for apps. First of all I partitioned my sd card and installed Leedroid. Had to get rid of it as it was too laggy. Then unpartitioned and tried cm7. Had it running for a couple of hours but kept getting force close messages for android.process.media. Also forcing all non system apps to the sd card still didn't save my lack of space issue.

To be honest this is the kinda crap why I never wanted to root in the first place, if my phone had another 500mb of internal storage for apps then I wouldn't see the point. It's too much hassle.

Is there a decent stable rom out there that's not going to give me headaches and leave me googling solutions for buggy roms?

I feel your pain.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,261 ✭✭✭emo72

Lawstud wrote: »
    I feel your pain.

but, do you have an answer?

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭blaz

Clear the dalvik cache. If that does not solve it, do a factory reset.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,203 ✭✭✭Keith186

LeeDroid 3.0.8.2 isn't bad at all.

Way more stable than 3.0.7, doesn't really ever seem to lag like the last one.

My internal memory always seems to hover at about 15mb though even after clearing it to 25mb it will just go back to 15mb in a matter of minutes. Still works grand though.

Might try insert coin some time.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

I'm using Leedroid -ROM

Very basic and not much bells and whistles but as stable as you get. I get about 2 days out my battery with data or WIFI on.

Advertisement