Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Psychologist Fees

Options
  • 28-06-2011 8:42pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭

I know fees can vary widely, but what would be a ball park figure for a brief consultation with a clinical psychologist?

GPs tend to charge €50 so would it be in and around this?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

BESman wrote: »
    I know fees can vary widely, but what would be a ball park figure for a brief consultation with a clinical psychologist?

GPs tend to charge €50 so would it be in and around this?

Ah no !! It would be way more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 563 ✭✭✭BESman

katiebelle wrote: »
    Ah no !! It would be way more.

Seriously? Like a first time consultation? Balls.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

Depends. Can be free of charge in the HSE. Check with PSI for private work if that's the way you want to go. VHI covers clinical psychology.

GPs charge around €50 for 10 minutes. A full psychological assessment will take an hour. or more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 172 ✭✭katiebelle

Both my sisters are clinical psychologists and although neither of them are in Ireland I know they do charge quite a bit but its not above the norm.

With regard to the HSE. If you want to see a psychologist yourself then you may have a wait . I know a lot of the adult mental health services have long waiting lists. If its for a child then you could get lucky. Some places have pretty short waiting lists now compared to a few years ago. I know where I am its pretty amazing at the moment as we have drop in psychological services. We get letters TELLING us to please come and have a meet with the psychologists. This is pretty bloody great compared to 10 or 11 years ago when you were lucky to see one once every two years. I will say that these guys are gals are absolutely worth the money though. They have been a life saver for me down through the years. All of the above is just from my own experience you understand but do hope it helps .

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭bureau2009

Can anyone indicate a "ballpark, average, typical" fee or fee range that a COUNSELLING Psychologist might charge per hourly session??

Many thanks!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭hotspur

bureau2009 wrote: »
    Can anyone indicate a "ballpark, average, typical" fee or fee range that a COUNSELLING Psychologist might charge per hourly session??

Many thanks!

The most typical fee for counselling psychologists would be €70-80.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭Freiheit

I pay E45, was quoted at E50 but negotiate,don't be afraid to do so. The Celtic Tiger is dead and you have many options, in this sense it's a client's market.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

bureau2009 wrote: »

Many thanks!

I paid 75E per hour for a counselling psychologist privately.

However it's also worth seeing what you can get on the HSE - although the psychologist I saw there had a much longer waiting list, she was also pretty amazing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,564 ✭✭✭Naikon

If you are paying for questionable counselling "sessions", you have been had. Look at the problem logically. Devise a solution. Implement. Move on with your life. Introspective reflection and all this other malarky only seeks to drag the problem on and on.

Don't mix problems and emotions together. That is the key. Now, where is my 75 euro?:P

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

Naikon wrote: »
    If you are paying for questionable counselling "sessions", you have been had. Look at the problem logically. Devise a solution. Implement. Move on with your life. Introspective reflection and all this other malarky only seeks to drag the problem on and on.

Don't mix problems and emotions together. That is the key. Now, where is my 75 euro?:P

Who said anything about questionable counselling sessions? What if the OP's problems are their emotions??

€75 seems good price, psychotherapists aren't far off that. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

sambuka41 wrote: »
    Who said anything about questionable counselling sessions? What if the OP's problems are their emotions??

€75 seems good price, psychotherapists aren't far off that. :)

My problems were indeed emotional - I was suicidal. I needed a psychotherapist, trust me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,083 ✭✭✭sambuka41

DM addict wrote: »
    My problems were indeed emotional - I was suicidal. I needed a psychotherapist, trust me.

Yeah, really there is no way to separate out the emotion from the person/problem. We aren't robots!!! I'm glad it helped. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭psycjay

Naikon wrote: »

naikon, effective therapy is not about introspective reflection, in fact it is about assessing the problem and devising solutions based on scientific research. Your view of therapy is out of date.

I know you have issues with the lack of biological evidence for mental disorders, but people have problems and they need help. You don't need to understand the underlying mechanism in order to treat it. This is what both behaviourism and cognitive science do.

When you see a psychologist you are paying for a service that is offering the best, empirically validated trestment, that is currently available. Well at least you should be anyway.

There are people out their offering unscientific treatments but this is the same as the distinction between a "healer" and a GP (waits for the backlash..), they are ripping people off and giving the good therapists a bad name in the process. Unfortunantly the quacks and the scientists get mixed together (just look at this forum..) and this is a problem.

Advertisement