Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Data recovery software?

Options
  • 28-06-2011 7:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭

I have a 500GB western digital external hard drive giving cyclic redundancy errors. I can't access the data and it's asking to format the drive each time I attach it to my laptop via usb.

Is it possible to get recovery software to retrieve the data as I am fairly sure the data is intact? :(

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

inb4 haters,
    If the drive has any i/o properties you can try a linux boot disc that has Foremost. Most free recovery tools freak out at drives that are badly partitioned or have drive errors.But foremost chugs along and trys to recover even damaged
    file systems.
    For info try here
    http://linuxpoison.blogspot.com/2008/12/recovering-deleted-file-using-foremost.html
    or here
    http://www.theillien.com/Sys_Admin_v12/html/v12/i09/a1.htm
    There are a lot of windows based tools and they are all good but most of the popular ones have issues with dirty drives.
    If i am wrong then i have no problem with being corrected by the members of boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

Just a quick update....

I found software called Seagate File Recovery Software. I downloaded a demo version and it successfully reads the drive and I can see all my data. It only allows me to recover data of 64K or less in the demo version. But the full version is $99.
    I've just bought another 500Gb drive at 57 euro, so I figure if I can spend that on a drive I can spend 70 euro on the software.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭MargeS

bedlam wrote: »
    Save your self the €70 and use Recuva
    I didn't delete the files, the drive failed.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

bedlam wrote: »
    Save your self the €70 and use Recuva
    testdisk is free ;)

but if you are getting data errors then ddrecue is yer only man , in ubuntu install gddrescue, it will try to image the drive, you then do data recovery on the image

ddrescue /dev/sdb ~/image logfile

Advertisement