Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First brew question

Options
  • 28-06-2011 5:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi
    I am brewing Coopers Canadian Blonde. I started 9 days ago and it has been bubbling away slowly since then. The temperature for the first four days was was about 18 degrees. The rest of the time it has been 22 to 24 degrees. It hasn't stopped bubbling yet (about every 30 seconds a bubble comes out of the airlock). The hydrometer reading is 1.18. Shouldn't it be around 1.000 by now?

Do you think it is still alright or has something gone wrong?

Thanks

Paul

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭foghlu

Sounds about right to be honest, best thing is leave it for a few more days and check the reading again. I always leave for 2 weeks or more before even bothering checking the gravity. You will never get down to 1.000 that would be the reading for water

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Bugsyboy1 around 1.015 or lower and you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Thanks for the replies. I was a little put off by the Coopers video which said that 6 or 7 days was enough. So say I leave it for a couple of weeks before I bottle. How long then should I leave it in the bottle ?(having put the carbonation tablets in)

Cheers

Paul

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

Bugsyboy1 wrote: »
    So say I leave it for a couple of weeks before I bottle. How long then should I leave it in the bottle ?(having put the carbonation tablets in)
    Should be fully carbonated in two to three weeks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Thanks for the replies. I was a little put off by the Coopers video which said that 6 or 7 days was enough. So say I leave it for a couple of weeks before I bottle. How long then should I leave it in the bottle ?(having put the carbonation tablets in)

Cheers

Paul

It's ready to bottle when there is no change in Hydrometer reading after 2 days,,, I found that the taste really started to improve after storing for about 4weeks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Bugsyboy1

Armelodie wrote: »

Cheers

Paul

It's ready to bottle when there is no change in Hydrometer reading after 2 days,,, I found that the taste really started to improve after storing for about 4weeks
    Thanks for the reply. Which beer kit did you use? Was that 4 weeks from the start date or 4 weeks after bottling? Great to not be doing this alone.
    Cheers
    Paul

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭Dockfive

Like the OP I am doing my first brew and also like the OP I am brewing Coopers Canadian Blonde. I started the process 3 days ago and the temp is sitting between 20 and 21 degrees. I realise this is at the bottom end of the scale that Coopers suggest. How long should I leave it to ferment in the barrel at this temp? I would like to have the beer for a party on 23 July. By the sounds of it I am pushing it a bit tight and it certainly won't be at its optimum taste.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 366 ✭✭Irishrossoblu

Dockfive wrote: »
    Like the OP I am doing my first brew and also like the OP I am brewing Coopers Canadian Blonde. I started the process 3 days ago and the temp is sitting between 20 and 21 degrees. I realise this is at the bottom end of the scale that Coopers suggest. How long should I leave it to ferment in the barrel at this temp? I would like to have the beer for a party on 23 July. By the sounds of it I am pushing it a bit tight and it certainly won't be at its optimum taste.

Thanks.

It should ferment until it has finished fermenting! You have it at the correct temperature (17-18c is the lowest you should go). I usually have it 10 days in the FV and then 1 month in bottles before drinking it. Take a hydrometer reading and once it is steady for 3 days in a row, bottle!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭Donny5

Hi, Dockfive, Irishross is right, and you will have beer by the 23rd. The key is to wait for two consecutive identical hydrometer readings before bottling. After that, it will be drinkable in a week, but two weeks or more will mean you get a better end-product. Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,381 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Thanks for the replies. I was a little put off by the Coopers video which said that 6 or 7 days was enough.
    I find the companies invariably underestimate times, this does not just go for homebrew companies but others who have products with a "waiting time",

Look at this yeast, 14% in 24hrs, and 18% in 48hrs!

PR%2024hr.jpg48%20Hour.jpg

• Advertisement
Advertisement