Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

RTE Radio 1 - News at One - Sean O'Rourke

Options
  • 28-06-2011 1:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭

.. is it only me hearing his nasal breathing over the mic while others are speaking to him?

Jez, once you hear it, you can hear nothing else.:mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

Ahhh .... leave our Sean alone! The best political broadcaster in this country by a, eh, country mile.

Haven't noticed his nasal breathing but when someone points it out ... then that is sometimes all you hear.

Speaking of nasal breathing, one of the worst for doing that is Enda Kenny. Maybe you should start a nasal breathing thread :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,999 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Not knocking his ability or the content on the show, he's very good.

Just can't listen to him any more. Its really annoying. Matt Cooper used to do it too, but someone musta told him to stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,921 ✭✭✭Gophur

I don't get this fawning over O'Rourke (and the likes fo Miriam O'C, etc). He doesn't do much, he, like most of RTE, is way over-paid, and has a tendency to get particularly under-hand and nasty, He fails to hide his own roots (just check where he started his career?)

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

Gophur wrote: »
    I don't get this fawning over O'Rourke (and the likes fo Miriam O'C, etc). He doesn't do much, he, like most of RTE, is way over-paid, and has a tendency to get particularly under-hand and nasty, He fails to hide his own roots (just check where he started his career?)

He started his career in the Connaught tribune I believe. Have I missed something about that paper

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,576 ✭✭✭✭FlutterinBantam

serfboard wrote: »
    Ahhh .... leave our Sean alone! The best political broadcaster in this country by a, eh, country mile.

Haven't noticed his nasal breathing but when someone points it out ... then that is sometimes all you hear.

Speaking of nasal breathing, one of the worst for doing that is Enda Kenny. Maybe you should start a nasal breathing thread :)

Better nasal breathing, and I agree with you about Enda Kenny,and while we are on the subject Peadhar Flanagan the auld Dub geezer who sniffffff does the sniefffff racing ?

Check that bad boy out snifffff:D

Beats the mouth breathing of Joan Burton who sucks air through a gob like a bottle opener after every third word :mad::mad:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

Cathal McCoille on Morning Ireland does be at the same thing too, they even leave his mic open when other guests are talking. I even started a thread about it

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭lumo22

Gophur wrote: »

Spot on!!! There is a nasty side to him alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

lumo22 wrote: »

He is a very tough interviewer, but in my opinion a very fair one. I presume everyone recalls the grilling he gave George Lee.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

lumo22 wrote: »

As has been said, he's a tough interviewer and someone like him needs to get under the skin of certain interviewees in order to get answers. If he was too soft people would still be complaining, nothing nasty about the man at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,675 ✭✭✭serfboard

I don't think he's nasty either. There's some pompous gits in this country need to be taken down a peg or two, and Sean's the man to do it. Sean's tough on those who deserve it.

Vincent Browne is another who's capable of knocking a few self-important people off their own pedestals, but he's far too opinionated and partial, in my view. While it is entertaining, it doesn't come across as fair, which Sean O'Rourke does, IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Blobby George

NIMAN wrote: »
    .. is it only me hearing his nasal breathing over the mic while others are speaking to him?

Jez, once you hear it, you can hear nothing else.:mad:

Wasting your time there NIMAN. O' Rourke is a golden calf around these parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Brendan O'Carroll on now saying that Mrs. Brown is a favourite for autistic children.

Why are children being allowed watch this at all?!

No kid of mine will watch anything where a cheap laugh is expected every time Mrs Brown mentions the word 'f*ck'...

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

telekon wrote: »
    Brendan O'Carroll on now saying that Mrs. Brown is a favourite for autistic children.

Why are children being allowed watch this at all?!

No kid of mine will watch anything where a cheap laugh is expected every time Mrs Brown mentions the word 'f*ck'...

Mrs. Brown's Boys - must have thought it was a childrens show FFS

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

padd b1975 wrote: »
    He is a very tough interviewer, but in my opinion a very fair one. I presume everyone recalls the grilling he gave George Lee.
    I remember the interview with Biffo and got him to apologize before he left office, great radio.
    Another good one was the day Willie O'Dea was defending himself against been pushed out because of talking to a reporter "off the record".

• Registered Users Posts: 39,440 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

I remember the interview with Cowen and remember Cowen getting thick with Sean which revealed Cowens true colours. It showned him to be a bully boy who doesnt like to be questioned and was an arrogant ****head who brought shame to fhe office of taoiseach.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,425 ✭✭✭telekon

Can't wait til 2pm. Getting sick of hearing Coveney and Mary Lou bicker for hours on end, same old guff every time.

"I didn't talk over you, Minister...Simon, don't shout me down..." :rolleyes:

Couldn't they find someone else to debate the points for once...ugghhhh. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

Bliss!!!.....no nagging Mary Lou for 24 hours at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,703 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Looks like George Lee has been fully decontaminated.
    In full flow now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

President Higgins is issuing forth on last nights game like a pundit!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭P. Breathnach

mike65 wrote: »
    President Higgins is issuing forth on last nights game like a pundit!
    No different from the majority of the people of Ireland!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

How can he not know what EMEA means? Poor showing from him today during the Kerry Group piece.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,873 ✭✭✭Skid

Yakuza wrote: »
    How can he not know what EMEA means? Poor showing from him today during the Kerry Group piece.

Not everyone know what every acronym stands for.

I reckon if you did a survey of News at One listeners, a fair portion would not know what EMEA meant. It makes for better Radio to explain these things.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yakuza

Hmm, for a show that has lots of segments on foreign companies with bases in Ireland that serve this region, I'd have thought he'd have come across it by now! Still, I take your point that he might have been asking for the listeners, but by his tone it sounded (to me, at least) that he didn't know himself.

Advertisement