Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Downpipe directly to grass

Options
  • 28-06-2011 10:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭

Hey,

We recently bought a house which has a very large shed and currently the guttering system at the back is just flowing into an old barrel, which I have to empty every so often. Obviously I want to replace this system and intend to replace the guttering along the shed.

My question is if I run a down pipe to flow directly onto the grass; is this likely to make the crass very marshy or have any other negative effects on the ground or surrounding foundations?

Thanks,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,072 ✭✭✭rayjdav

Have you the space to form a soakpit? Basically, from your down pipe let the water flow into a gully trap and pipe this underground to a "stone-pit". Dig a hole, back fill with 2" stone, cover with plastic/geotextile membrane cover in clay and hey presto.
    If you just let the SW run onto the grass it will become a mud pit in any heavy rain and annoy you down the line.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,074 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Hey,

We recently bought a house which has a very large shed and currently the guttering system at the back is just flowing into an old barrel, which I have to empty every so often. Obviously I want to replace this system and intend to replace the guttering along the shed.

My question is if I run a down pipe to flow directly onto the grass; is this likely to make the crass very marshy or have any other negative effects on the ground or surrounding foundations?

Thanks,

YES!!! it could have serious effects on your foundations if you saturate the ground around....

Storm water must be piped away.. preferably to a drain or water course.. or if none is available then soakaways are an option. The design and size of soakaways depends on the highest water table level, the percolation ability of the soil and the amount of roof space drained to it.

Advertisement