Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dealing with a bull in a field

Options
  • 27-06-2011 11:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭

I had the slightly unnerving experience of crossing the edge of a field recently and only when we were half way across realising there was a bull we hadn't spotted mixed in with the cattle. Thankfully they were quite a distance away.

As a townie I know nothing about bulls, perhaps some of you might be able to help me out (I know, first thing is stay out of the field but...).
    1. How aggressive are they? Is there particular breeds to be aware of?
    2. Is there particular times of the year where they are more aggressive?
    3. How do they attack people, i.e. is it a charge from long distance or in some other way?
    4. If attacked, what should an individual do? What should a group do?
    5. Can they jump fences? Is it sufficient to get behind a stone wall, or simple barbed wire?

Anything else you think I should know?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Needler

Walk along the edge of the field. Look out for 'beware of bull' signs on gates

They can be fairly aggressive, each individual bull is different

I know someone who got gored by one and is now in a wheelchair

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

ill start by saying i dont know 2 much about them, but heres my understanding of it, 1 they wont be albe to get to you as long as you not in the field with them, 2 i think the farmer is ment to have something up to warn ppl but i could be wrong there!
    3. stay as a group and move fast but try not to scare or make and moves at the bull,
    I was in a field with a bull about 2 years ago, like you me and a m8 did not know he was there till we where 1/2 way though the field, he did sort of come at us but i go myself and the m8 to walk backwards faceing him and use our walking poles and keep slaping them in his direction, and he did not come any close,
    weather we got lucky or not i dont know just did that at the time as really it was that or run!
    again not sure if thats the best thing to do tho but in our case it worked for us!

• Registered Users Posts: 32 dizzle with ur frizzle

should be a sign up, you shouldnt be in the field anyway unless you have permission. trust me, if your on the outside of the field, he can still get at you, dont matter if theres a fence, gate or stone wall. if they want to get at you for a reason. they can.. majority of them are quiet, but never turn your back to them. even a cow, dont turn away completely. if they were to run at you. stand your ground, do not run. cattle are extremely fast. now if the animal is wired, try get out as quick as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,444 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Been there, done that many, many times, esp. in the UK where many public rights of way pass through fields.

I'm pretty wary, to the point of choosing a different route if possible, if it's a bull in a field on his own, but if they're in there with their "ladies" and calves / young cattle then usually they're pretty chilled and don't bother you, if they're lying down they often don't even bother to get up. Be careful not to get between mothers and their calves though.

I have seen "bull in field" signs over there, but they seem a bit hit and miss, and not to be relied upon at all.

It's usually large herds of young (esp. male) cattle that are the most troublesome and most likely to run after you in my experience.

No hard and fast rules at all about bulls. Some are wilder than others but you can't rely on anything like breed or time of year to think things are safer. Know 2 families who lost a son from goring. Try and avoid going near fields containing cattle at all - luckily here in south Kerry it's mostly sheep country, just don't have the land for dairy up in the hills anyway. The best advice is to make very damn sure you don't get near one. If an area is very open it is perhaps less likely to contain one, farmers themselves know the dangers and usually keep them in very secure fields and not wandering around commonages. Would always scan a field first. If I can't see across it, would stick by the ditch, would never stroll across the middle. You don't know when you'll have to make a run for it. And once you get over a ditch and out of sight you're a lot better off. If they can't see you they might not keep charging. But once a few tons of meat starts charging, think all the stuff about standing side on or staring them in the eye goes out the window, it's a bit like asking how does one survive running across a motorway, it's in the lap of the Gods.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭colblimp

Don't wear red clothing... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 749 ✭✭✭Whitehawk

colblimp wrote: »
    Don't wear red clothing... :D
    thats the winner alright!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

What were you doing in the field in the first place? Were you not trespassing?
    I wouldn't go into a field with a bull in it, and I have a bull. They can, and will kill you if they want.

Believe me, no sick is a match for a 700 Kg bull coming at you at full speed!

And it's not just bulls, cows will attack you just as easily, especially with young calves around. I had to get rid of one suckler cow his year. She would charge from 100 yards after giving birth.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭hmmm

pakalasa wrote: »
    What were you doing in the field in the first place? Were you not trespassing?
    Much hillwalking in this country is tolerated tresspassing, Wicklow being a good example. But that's a debate for another day I guess.

This field in question was (or we think was) commonage as it is a large mostly unfenced heathery area on the side of a hill, which is why we were surprised to find a bull in it. As Alun says, a mistake like this is not uncommon.

We wouldn't voluntarily have gone into a field with a bull anywhere in sight, or cattle in close proximity. But as we were effectively committed, my main question then and now is how we should react if we see Mr Bull stirring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I wasn't having a go at you, by any means. I do a bit of hill walking myself. I really enjoy it too.
    I just wanted to get the point across that bulls and cows, can be very dangerous. They are one of the biggest causes of deaths on Irish farms. Dogs and young children, for some reason can really set them off.
    Bullocks, which are castrated males, and young female heifers will chase you if you run, but that's really more to do with cusiosity. Normally, they're harmless. It's the cattle that see you as a threat, that are dangerous. Bulls protecting the herd, cows protecting their young.
    If you do stumble on a bull, just avoid him, preferbly in a direction away from the whole herd. If he chases, run like the clappers.
    You don't have to be the fastest in the group either, so long as you're not the slowest...:D

• Advertisement

castrated males and young females will chase you, but that's really more to do with cusiosity.

Doctored it a bit, so it now suggests a night in Copperface Jax.
    You don't have to be the fastest in the group either, so long as you're not the slowest...:D

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Was there much bullsh1t in that field???????????????????????????????

Advertisement