Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Myths that You are Skeptical of the Results.

Options
  • 27-06-2011 7:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭

This thread is very simple. Mythbusters bust or confirm myths are there any confirmed or busted myths that are you skeptical of? Also, are there any pieces of wisdom or old wives tales that you don't particularly agree with?:)

The following are mine. Mythbusters did an episode on the polygraph as a deception detector. They confirmed it was good a detecting deceit. I simply don't believe that. Nothing I read elsewhere supports the polygraph.

Going to bed with wet hair gives you a cold/flu. Apart from a wet pillow, anytime I unintentionally did it I never picked up anything. Of course, I'll admit that one experiment by one person simply isn't enough.:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,226 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Malty_T wrote: »
    The following are mine. Mythbusters did an episode on the polygraph as a deception detector. They confirmed it was good a detecting deceit. I simply don't believe that. Nothing I read elsewhere supports the polygraph.
    well if memory serves the test Mythbusters did was about a clear true or false scenario which made it easy to detect the the lie.

But in complex real life situations they simply aren't reliable enough to constitute evidence.
    Malty_T wrote: »
    Going to bed with wet hair gives you a cold/flu. Apart from a wet pillow, anytime I unintentionally did it I never picked up anything. Of course, I'll admit that one experiment by one person simply isn't enough.:)
    well colds and the flu are viral, being cold has no effect on them really.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,075 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

King Mob wrote: »
    well colds and the flu are viral, being cold has no effect on them really.
    True, but being cold if not used to that may lower ones own immune system, therefore more likely to come down with a virus that otherwise ones immune system would smother at birth. Ergo being wet and cold may "give you the flu".

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Wibbs wrote: »
    True, but being cold if not used to that may lower ones own immune system, therefore more likely to come down with a virus that otherwise ones immune system would smother at birth. Ergo being wet and cold may "give you the flu".

That's a good point. I might try and abuse my weekly white blood cell count a bit by sleeping with a wet head of hair the night before for 2 tests this month and 2 with normal hair conditions before bed. I'll let you know how the results go :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭pH

Wibbs wrote: »

May?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Immune_system

So which parts of the immune system, and by how much? Say I was to get into a cold swimming pool for an hour, which parts of my immune system are lowered, by how much and for how long?

Advertisement