Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best book(s) regarding the first discovery of dinosaurs

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭

Just looking for some recommendations, perhaps about the bone wars or just the very first discoveries

Any gripping books out there about it?

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

I don`t know if you understand Spanish but if you do, I recommend Cazadores de dragones (Dragon hunters) by Spanish paleontologist Jose Luis Sanz. He describes the discovery of dinosaurs from the beginning to our days- a very good read. Unfortunately I don`t know if it's out in English.

There's also an old book I read ages ago called The ridle of the dinosaur by J. N. Wilford. It describes several important times in the history of paleontology including the discovery of the first dinosaurs in England and their naming, as well as the Bone Wars and the Gobi dinosaur discoveries.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

While not the first discoveries, The Bones of Contention by Paul Chambers (not to be confused with a piece of Creationist literature of the same name) does chronicle some very old palaeontological discoveries.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Bones-Contention-Archaeopteryx-Paul-Chambers/dp/0719560543/ref=sr_1_4?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1309298897&sr=1-4

• Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Stingerbar

^^ Looks good. I believe there's a History Channel DVD of the same name too.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 5,279 Mod ✭✭✭✭Adam Khor

Galvasean wrote: »
    ^^ Looks good. I believe there's a History Channel DVD of the same name too.

I have the DVD :D Its pretty good. Small bits of Jurassic Park III and Dinosaur only make it better XD

• Advertisement

Found just the ticket in Chapters on Parnel St. (Dublin) for only €7.99 today.
    The Gilded Dinosaur by Mark Jaffe.

51ADKH9PTNL.jpg&sa=X&ei=1aAPTvroEYrKswaP5dXrDg&ved=0CAQQ8wc&usg=AFQjCNGh5orOaBQrHt4Du8ALAj13g1yTeQ

Specifically about Cope and Marsh's epic rivalry. Only read the first chapter and a half and already learning. Did you know Marsh despised his first name (Othniel) and demanded that everyone call him O.C.
    Always loved the bizarre rivalry of these two eccentric men. Looking forward to reading more.

Advertisement