Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Trouble Brewing bottled beers.....

Options
  • 27-06-2011 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭

....out by the end of summer apparently. :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭pa990

????????????

expand

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

i think they are starting to use this company down the local,
    is the larger any good??

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

pa990 wrote: »
    ????????????

expand
    They posted an article on their Facebook page and it mentioned that they should have bottled beers by the end of summer.

i think they are starting to use this company down the local,
    is the larger any good??
    It's not a lager, it's a golden ale, and very nice it is too. Full of flavour so not very like your usual big brand lagers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭monty_python

BaZmO* wrote: »

It's not a lager, it's a golden ale, and very nice it is too. Full of flavour so not very like your usual big brand lagers.
    i drink erdinger kristasl, warstiener or krombacher so im not sure if ill like it. i wasnt a fan of the galway hooker pale ale anyways

• Registered Users Posts: 16,894 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

i drink erdinger kristasl, warstiener or krombacher so im not sure if ill like it. i wasnt a fan of the galway hooker pale ale anyways

It's less hoppy than Galway Hooker - probably more to your taste.

A bottle conditioned Dark Arts would be something to behold!!
    I'm excited at the prospect (why wont the big grin smilie work?)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,827 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

I'm not convinced of the inherent benefits of bottle conditioning, but anything that gets Dark Arts away from nitro-serve is good in my book.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

BeerNut wrote: »
    I'm not convinced of the inherent benefits of bottle conditioning,

Me too

but anything that gets Dark Arts away from nitro-serve is good in my book.

So very true

• Closed Accounts Posts: 41,926 ✭✭✭✭_blank_

oh man, I can't wait to have some Dark Arts at home.

hurry uuuuuuppppp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,606 ✭✭✭schemingbohemia

I'm not convinced of the inherent benefits of bottle conditioning, but anything that gets Dark Arts away from nitro-serve is good in my book.

Nitro-serving Dark Arts was one sure way of making a delicious drink awful. I nearly cried when I tasted it in Against the Grain a few weeks ago, I was nearly thinking of sending them to the ICC in the Hague for crimes against humanity!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,381 ✭✭✭oblivious

Des wrote: »
    oh man, I can't wait to have some Dark Arts at home.

hurry uuuuuuppppp

An you can bet it will be served on CO2 :D

• Advertisement

I nearly cried when I tasted it in Against the Grain
    Ah, that's where it was. I had pretty much sworn off the stuff altogether 'cos I couldn't which pub was serving it on nitro.

I'm not convinced of the inherent benefits of bottle conditioning,

Really?
    Maybe it's just that almost all my favourite beers are bottle conditioned that leads me to believe that it produces more complex flavours.

And there is the option of a little bit of cloudiness with bottle conditioned beers or the option of drinking all that yeasty goodness separately. Or would an unfiltered, non bottle conditioned beer offer the same?

Really?
    Really. On Sunday I was drinking bottled Helvick Gold in The Village, then went across to Against the Grain to have it on cask and it was way way better. What a non-bottle-conditioned bottled Helvick would be like is a totally different question, of course.

I definitely prefer kegged Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to the bottle-conditioned version.

I definitely prefer kegged Sierra Nevada Pale Ale to the bottle-conditioned version.

Ah but that's a different beer altogether: the keg is 5% while the bottle is 5.6%.
    I like them both.

I don't think bottle conditioning will ever be the same as cask but will we ever get to compare a bottle conditioned beer to the same one bottled but not bottled conditioned?

Alas I don't ever remember drinking the bottled conditioned Guinness Pint bottles but if I had, no doubt the romantic beer goggles of memory would have me convinced that it was far superior!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Bigcheeze

Really. On Sunday I was drinking bottled Helvick Gold in The Village, then went across to Against the Grain to have it on cask and it was way way better.

So true. It's one of my favourite beers anyway but definitely the best beer I've tasted on cask.

will we ever get to compare a bottle conditioned beer to the same one bottled but not bottled conditioned?
    The Porterhouse switched Plain and Hop Head from bottle-conditioned to brewery-conditioned after the first batch and I can't say I noticed the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,749 ✭✭✭tony 2 tone

Is there any where in Dublin serving Dark Arts non-nitro? I tried that and the Or(which I think is lovely) in ATG but didnt think much of it. Would like to see the difference.

When Dark Arts was in the Abbot's, Cork it went through the same system that all the lagers and ales go through. It pored slightly flat and was really good!!
    They did put a sprinkler in the tap but it still didn't pour with that nitro creaminess (thankfully).

I've not had a pint of Dark Arts on Nitro which is maybe why it's my favourite tap stout/porter in Ireland, hands down.

Is there any where in Dublin serving Dark Arts non-nitro?
    L. Mulligan. Grocer in Stoneybatter.

Nitro-serving Dark Arts was one sure way of making a delicious drink awful. I nearly cried when I tasted it in Against the Grain a few weeks ago, I was nearly thinking of sending them to the ICC in the Hague for crimes against humanity!
    Ah, that's where it was. I had pretty much sworn off the stuff altogether 'cos I couldn't which pub was serving it on nitro.
    Is there any where in Dublin serving Dark Arts non-nitro? I tried that and the Or(which I think is lovely) in ATG but didnt think much of it. Would like to see the difference.

Ok now I get what all the fuss is about!
    For the second keg of Dark Arts in The Abbot's, Cork they 'fixed' the dispensing of it. It now pours like a lovely creamy cold pint of Guinness!:mad:
    That would be all very well if that was what I was after but it's not.

Such a difference - it really does strip it of most of its flavour and completely changes the mouthfeel. Thing is, it will probably sell much better and please more people than it upsets.

I will say that if Nitro Stout/Porter is your thing it is better tasting than Guinness.

Oh how I ranted at poor Ronan in The Abbot's Last night!

• Advertisement

Thing is, it will probably sell much better and please more people than it upsets.
    Keep checking that with them. If it doesn't increase in sales, ask them to switch it back.

And I'm sorry for your loss :(

Just announced that they made their first deliveries today to McHugh's on the Malahide Rd, and Kilbarrack.

....oh and Drinkstore in Stoneybatter, the Bull and Castle and the Cobblestone. too.

BaZmO* wrote: »
    Just announced that they made their first deliveries today to McHugh's on the Malahide Rd, and Kilbarrack.

....oh and Drinkstore in Stoneybatter, the Bull and Castle and the Cobblestone. too.

Nice one.

I happen to be in the vicinity of the Malahide Road this evening.

Will be getting some Dark Arts for the weekend.

Woo!

Will be getting some Dark Arts for the weekend.
    Sorry to be the bearer of bad news Des, but it's only Ór that's available in bottles.

Dammit :(

Reckon I'll still drop down anyway, see what else they have. I like the Rum Cask Innis & Gunn, I've gotten that there before.

Is the Ór very hoppy?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭slayerking

Dammit :(

Reckon I'll still drop down anyway, see what else they have. I like the Rum Cask Innis & Gunn, I've gotten that there before.

Is the Ór very hoppy?

Its actually not that hoppy at all, its a light golden ale.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭KJ

I just popped in to mchughs just there. €2.95 a bottle is a good price. They have loads of nice beer in there. Will have to go back soon

Advertisement