Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sony Vaio - Windows Issue

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi there, just wondering what to do as am clueless about this. My Sony VAIO won't start windows......comes up with an error page that windows won't launch......gives me 2 options - 1. Choose this option and startup will try and fix problem and 2. Choose this option to proceed to windows normally.

By picking either option nothing happens........laptop just goes into hang mode....even left running for hours!!!!

Anyone any idea?? Or do I need to bring it to one of the repair shops?? Any recommendations on a repair shop??

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,808 ✭✭✭✭chin_grin

Do you have a recovery\operating system cd that you could boot from?

Are there any peculiar noises coming from the machine itself when it hangs?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 ms1

No I'm afraid not.......cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 11,178 ✭✭✭✭NothingMan

It sounds like windows has become corrupt. This can usually be fixed by running a repair cd. Do you have your discs that came with your computer?

If so, pop the operating system in the CD drive and when the sony start up is on screen hit F8 (could be different on Sony's) to boot from CD. This will launch a windows repair console from the CD. You can then run a repair by following the on screen instructions.

It's simple enough but can be a little daunting if you're not too sure what you're doing, so if you know anyone technically minded to take you through it I'd recommend that.

If you have the discs and want a more detailed explanation then just ask, I or someone here will find a simple step by step. There's tonnes of 'em if ya know where to look.

If you tap the F8 button while powering the machine up does it bring you to a page where you can choose to go in to safe mode?

Choose the safe mode with networking option and see if it hangs. You'll see lines appear on the screen these are just drivers loading. If it does stick make sure to note down which one it does it on.

I have the discs...........I'll try both solutions tomorrow night. Thanks a million for the help and responses Nothing Man & Chin Grin.................cyber beer for you both!!

Cheers

• Advertisement

How did you get on?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

Something similar happened to me and I got it looked at by a professional and he suggested re-installing OS. So i did, fixed it.

Yes sorted now - thanks for the help! Tapping the f8 key allowed me a few options and I was able to restore the laptop back to normality. Easy when you know how!!! Cheers for the help and pointers - hugely appreciated!

Advertisement