Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

NASA - Video of Controlled Hover Test Flight No. 4

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭Mr Magners

marcsignal wrote: »

That looks like something that would have been on the Late Late Toy Show years ago. Why are they all so excited about it?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

Mr Magners wrote: »
    That looks like something that would have been on the Late Late Toy Show years ago. Why are they all so excited about it?

The difference is that those gadgets you see on the Late Late Show require an Earth like atmosphere. This little beauty doesn't, that's pretty significant as it could allow numerous take off and landings in environments with little to no air present.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 210 ✭✭MissRealist

CMpunked wrote: »
    Yeah.. no.. no.
    Now this was as close as any irish kid was going to get to internet superstardom:

I think you missed the point. He's only a little kid and it's a joke. We just wanted to get his views above 100. We have and he's ecstatic. Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Mr Magners wrote: »
    Malty_T wrote: »
    The difference is that those gadgets you see on the Late Late Show require an Earth like atmosphere. This little beauty doesn't, that's pretty significant as it could allow numerous take off and landings in environments with little to no air present.:)

I've never seen a toy capable of a controlled hover like that. This looks more or less like a more advanced version of the space shuttles control system. It's near impossible to control something like that when gravities involved because it has to counteract gravities pull and keep the machine stable. I'd guess it's really the stability software that's on show here more so than the hardware.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,578 ✭✭✭✭Turtwig

ScumLord wrote: »
    I've never seen a toy capable of a controlled hover like that. This looks more or less like a more advanced version of the space shuttles control system. It's near impossible to control something like that when gravities involved because it has to counteract gravities pull and keep the machine stable. I'd guess it's really the stability software that's on show here more so than the hardware.

Rudimentary 40 year old Harrier VTOL with a skilled pilot?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Malty_T wrote: »
    Rudimentary 40 year old Harrier VTOL with a skilled pilot?
    It's not quite the same thing, a harrier wouldn't have the kind of controlled hover this thing has. It's basically designed to take off and land vertically but that's not it's default mode of flight and isn't much use in hovering mode.

The thing in that video is probably maintaining it's own hover automatically.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,249 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Split from Videos Thread

Advertisement