Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zombie Vision

Options
  • 27-06-2011 4:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭

What is the genral thinking here?

Should we stay indoors during the day and forage at night? Or is going out at night during the zombie outbreak pure suicide?

Maybe they're at a disadvantage at night.
    Perhaps the cones, rods and pupils relax because of "the being dead'n'all" and give enhanced night vision!

Tunnel, wide peripheral, hyper-sensitive to movement? What do you think a zombie's vision is like?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

They like all humans would be at a disadvantage at night, we simply don't have the right hardware for nightvision. There's no way around that.

Zombies do have the patients to become ambush hunters, they can just lie there waiting for something to walk across their path.

Human sight is quite complex and requires the brain to do a hell of a lot of work to interpret the information the eye sends to it. I'd expect greatly reduced vision from the start, at most zombies could make out movement but given the damage to the brain they wouldn't have any kind of detailed vision as that also requires a lot of eye movement to build the picture in the brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,154 ✭✭✭ImpossibleDuck

jme2010 wrote: »
    What is the genral thinking here?

Should we stay indoors during the day and forage at night? Or is going out at night during the zombie outbreak pure suicide?

Maybe they're at a disadvantage at night.
    Perhaps the cones, rods and pupils relax because of "the being dead'n'all" and give enhanced night vision!

Tunnel, wide peripheral, hyper-sensitive to movement? What do you think a zombie's vision is like?

I'd have to say poor, at best. As long as we're not talking about super-strength zombies here then I'd say poor. I'm talking about those lazy, unresponsive ones; they don't seem like they have any advantage over us bar the element of surprise :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 974 ✭✭✭jme2010

Agreed.

I was thinking almost no vision due to the lack of processing by the brain. Their vision might even be inverted :D

Agreed.

I was thinking almost no vision due to the lack of processing by the brain. Their vision might even be inverted :D
    Interesting point. Could see zombies going the opposite direction of the stimulus.

I was only taking note of my brains visual processing power this morning while I was on the toilet. I was shutting each eye and watching a reflection of the light above in water on the ground. I noticed that my eye was over laying the two separate images (which where notably different) all the time I was focusing on the light and noticing the two separate images I suddenly realised that I was able to slowly separate the two images of the light and the tile pastern underneath wasn't mismatched. My brain was allowing me to see the two overlapped lights as separate images with both eyes open while the tile pattern below was still one image, it didn't become two overlapped images like the light reflection not 1mm above. That's incredible on the fly image manipulation.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,532 ✭✭✭Ginja Ninja

as was mentioned the human eye isn't built for night vision and because of that I'd always say going out at night is a bad idea,even if they don't differ day to night we definitely do and we can trip fall and walk into a lot of hings during the night as well as standing out if you use a torch.

all in all going out a night is a bad idea,although not solely because of the zed's but general sensory depravation and being in the pitch black with zombies around would terrify anyone I'd say

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,792 ✭✭✭Gandalph

Zombies can use sonar with their grunts, they dont make all that noise for no reason

all in all going out a night is a bad idea,although not solely because of the zed's but general sensory depravation and being in the pitch black with zombies around would terrify anyone I'd say
    It could be a calculated risk, the living would have an advantage over the dead in the sensory department but could use dogs to bump that even more. All you want the dog to do is steer well clear of any dead which they can hear and smell for great distances, there's no way you'd stumble into zombies being lead by a dog. Working at night is going to help you stay away from the attentions of less reputable people.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

Surely zombies would destroy their eyes early on from sun damage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

I actually think the opposite is true. Vision at night once you have practiced it is actually very good, you can make out shapes fairly well on all but the darkest nights and with some experience your brain will process it. Come Z day light pollution at night will minimize and people will develop effective night vision.

Your hearing also becomes more acute at night, even the smallest twig crack sounds like a shotgun going off at night.

City dwellers have noise and light pollution all the time so the brain will "forget" its night time capabilities.

Lastly never use a torch at night unless its urgent as it trashes your night vision, if you do ensure you have one eye closed or use a patch that way one eye will still be tuned to see in the dark. The torch should have a red lens and you will only need a small part of the lens area to see effectively at night so tape it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

To answer the original question I guess the best approach is to study the Z's for the first few days to "know your enemy". Once you have a better idea if they are more effective at night or day then plan your tactics accordingly. If they are just as effective/active at night then I would suggest night time operations as this would limit contact with secondary enemy "Human scumbags".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,734 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

Can zombies even see?

I thought they "hunted" through hearing, and a possible sixth sense.

Either way, night-time is suicidal for humans to be out doing anything.

krissovo wrote: »
    I actually think the opposite is true. Vision at night once you have practiced it is actually very good, you can make out shapes fairly well on all but the darkest nights and with some experience your brain will process it. Come Z day light pollution at night will minimize and people will develop effective night vision.

Your hearing also becomes more acute at night, even the smallest twig crack sounds like a shotgun going off at night.
    It's not a matter of practice really, it's a matter of your brain processing differently in different environments. Your hearing and sight are maybe 60% or more brain power.
    Can zombies even see?

I thought they "hunted" through hearing, and a possible sixth sense.

Either way, night-time is suicidal for humans to be out doing anything.
    Hearing would be just as prone to quick decay as sight. The inner ear is a very delicate and complicated set of bones and fluid cavities.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,558 ✭✭✭SmileyPaul

krissovo wrote: »
    To answer the original question I guess the best approach is to study the Z's for the first few days to "know your enemy". Once you have a better idea if they are more effective at night or day then plan your tactics accordingly. If they are just as effective/active at night then I would suggest night time operations as this would limit contact with secondary enemy "Human scumbags".
    I dont think it'll be a question of whether they are more effective or not during the day or night, but the fact that we WILL be less efeective at night.

our vision can barely pick up black and grey succesfully at night and I don't think people realise just how dark it will actually become when the electricity goes (which will be fairly soon)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,025 ✭✭✭Shane-KornSpace

well good thing I have a pair of Nightvision goggles :D

got batteries too?

well good thing I have a pair of Nightvision goggles :D
    got batteries too?

No need, they're solar powered.

awesome, just like my inflatable dartboard!

If anything, I think they would go by a sense of smell rather than vision.

But by the same logic. Smell is a complicated process in the brain. So maybe they can't smell well?

But by the same logic. Smell is a complicated process in the brain. So maybe they can't smell well?
    More than likely, we did have an in depth thread on this a while ago and I think the consensus by the end of it was that zombies would have rapidly deteriorating senses.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,299 ✭✭✭paulmclaughlin

Maybe if the person was blind prior to infection.

I agree with this.

Maybe if the person was blind prior to infection.
    I'd wonder about this, the heightened hearing a blind person would have would be learned behaviour. I guess it all depends on how the brain is damaged and where that learned behaviour is stored. The human brain is great at making the incredible seem mundane with half of it dead our special learned behaviours could just be a pool of goo somewhere inside the head, meaning the blind zombie would have no advantage over a non blind zombie when it comes to hearing.

It's the old software verses hardware problem. Blind people don't get better ears they just learn to make better use of the ones they have.

Advertisement