Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Analytical Science and Biotechnology

Options
  • 27-06-2011 3:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭

Hi,
    I'm deciding between these two courses.. I was looking at the modules for both courses and they have exactly the same modules in 1st year only..

If I pick one lets say.. and then decide during first year that I want to do the other course.. would it be possible to switch over to the other course.. I was just wondering if its possible!?

I am really stuck about which to put as my number one.. Can anyone give any advise about what to do?? I'v been looking into it so much but I still don't know which to pick :/

Thank you :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 einengel

if you're undecided it might be worth doing common entry (DC201). All of the science courses share the same modules in the first year anyway but this would allow you to switch to one of your choices at the end of year one. Note: Biotech has limited places through this route.

http://www.dcu.ie/prospective/deginfo.php?classname=CES

hope this helps!

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭xaoifsx

That's sweet. Thanks. That didn't even cross my mind to check the common science out!! It did help!! I just have more options on the table now :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭ironictoaster

Be warned if you do common entry you can't guarantee to go into Biotech, it's 2nd most popular science from from common entry, not everyone gets in.

Currently in 1st year BT at the moment, hopefully going to 2nd year this year..

Be warned if you do common entry you can't guarantee to go into Biotech, it's 2nd most popular science from from common entry, not everyone gets in.

Currently in 1st year BT at the moment, hopefully going to 2nd year this year..

well good luck tomorrow finding out if your continueing to second year!!!

whats BT like?? Why did you choose that over analytical (etc..) ?

do you enjoy it a lot? god i only have two days to decide..

Well all 1st years do general science. Personally, I didn't really enjoy 1st year because I covered most of the material in a PLC I did last year, so the year was kind of tedious for me, but people who came straight from secondary school said they enjoyed it a lot.

The subjects are ok, just put the head down really and get through the year fine. However, the chemistry module (CS113) is very tough, most 1st years who've I have spoken agree to this. Luckily for you they're semesterizing the module this year, so you won't have to cover so much in one exam as it will be divided on Christmas and summer exams. However, don't take it lightly.

I chose BT because I like biology, maths, microbiology and thought of doing some form of engineering in 2nd year sounded appealing. Not a fan of chemistry especially after this year, so not a chance I'd do analytical science, it's a very chemistry driven course especially after 1st year.

• Advertisement

Well all 1st years do general science. I didn't really enjoy 1st year because I covered most of the material in a PLC I did last year, so the year was kind of tedious for me. But, people who came straight from secondary school said they enjoyed it a lot.

The subjects are ok, however the chemistry module (CS113) is very tough, most 1st years who've I have spoken agree to this. Don't take it lightly.

I chose BT because I like biology, maths and microbiology so it was ideal. Not a fan of chemistry especially after this year, so not a chance I'd analytical science, it's very chemistry driven course especially after 1st year.

Ya I could imagine Chemistry being very hard.. Ya I really like biology too.. I think BT is down my street.. just thinking about it more..
    I was sorta lookin at Environmental Science and Health.. what have you heard about this from a students point of view? :)
    Thank you you are really helping!!

A good friend of mine is doing Eniviromental Science, she's says she probably wouldn't of done the course after hearing the types of jobs people get from the course. She wants to move abroad after this course so I reckon jobs would be better abroad. There's also an option to go to the US or Australia in 3rd year, my friend is going to Denver in the US.

There's a section in DCU's site where gives the % of graduates in employment and where they are now. I'm pretty over 50% of students went back to education from this course.

Although it's a fairly new course, you never know what jobs can come out of it.

A good friend of mine is doing Eniviromental Science, she's says she probably wouldn't of done the course after hearing the types of jobs people get from the course. She wants to move abroad after this course so I reckon jobs would be better abroad. There's also an option to go to the US or Australia in 3rd year, my friend is going to Denver in the US.

There's a section in DCU's site where gives the % of graduates in employment and where they are now. I'm pretty over 50% of students went back to education from this course.

Although it's a fairly new course, you never know what jobs can come out of it.

Yes I was confused about what careers you would get from enviromental science.. and I have no interest in them.. but I am interested in the course.. not as much as BT.
    When you are talking about the % are you talking about E&H?

Yeah the % is in regards to ESH.

The job prospects in BT are very good.

Yeah the % is in regards to ESH.

The job prospects in BT are very good.

Okay.. you have help me made my final decision..my 2weeks of deciding have come to an end!!
    Thank you so much for your help!! Seriously! And I wish you all the best with your results. :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement