Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Salmon license

Options
  • 27-06-2011 3:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭

I bought my salmon license a couple of months back.
    I asked for a regional salmon license for the Galway river basin area.
    I have just noticed where it says "area to be fished", it says "Connacht area".
    Given that the salmon license is broken up to 7 different districts, two of which are in Connacht, should it not say Galway river basin not Connacht area?
    I have never noticed this on any of my previous licenses before.
    Has the license been broken up to the 4 Provence's instead of the 7 districts?
    If so ill be heading to the Moy with my Connacht area license icon7.gif

Comments

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

dvae wrote: »
    I bought my salmon license a couple of months back.
    I asked for a regional salmon license for the Galway river basin area.
    I have just noticed where it says "area to be fished", it says "Connacht area".
    Given that the salmon license is broken up to 7 different districts, two of which are in Connacht, should it not say Galway river basin not Connacht area?
    I have never noticed this on any of my previous licenses before.
    Has the license been broken up to the 4 Provence's instead of the 7 districts?
    If so ill be heading to the Moy with my Connacht area license icon7.gif

Your licence is not valid, and you could have it confiscated by fishery officers if they inspect it. Whoever sold you the licence should have written in the fishery district you requested - there's no Galway river basin area when it comes to licences, nor provinces. There are 6 districts in the West - Galway, Connemara, Ballinakill, Bangor, Ballina and Sligo, a district licence can only be valid for one of these.
    Call into any IFI office and they will replace the licence for you at no cost so you don't get into any bother. The licence dealer who wrote out the licence needs to be educated too!
    If you got a district licence for Galway, it would not be valid on the Moy, you would need a national licence or a separate district licence for the Ballina district.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭dvae

Zzippy wrote: »
    Your licence is not valid, and you could have it confiscated by fishery officers if they inspect it. Whoever sold you the licence should have written in the fishery district you requested - there's no Galway river basin area when it comes to licences, nor provinces. There are 6 districts in the West - Galway, Connemara, Ballinakill, Bangor, Ballina and Sligo, a district licence can only be valid for one of these.
    Call into any IFI office and they will replace the licence for you at no cost so you don't get into any bother. The licence dealer who wrote out the licence needs to be educated too!
    If you got a district licence for Galway, it would not be valid on the Moy, you would need a national licence or a separate district licence for the Ballina district.

Darn i was hoping they changed it and i could use it any were in Connacht.
    I bought the license from a young girl at the tackle shop. She told me that she was covering for her father who was not in that day.
    It looks like Ive been fishing for the last couple of months with out a valid
    license. I wonder if there are any others out there with dodgy licenses.
    Cheers......

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

dvae wrote: »
    Darn i was hoping they changed it and i could use it any were in Connacht.
    I bought the license from a young girl at the tackle shop. She told me that she was covering for her father who was not in that day.
    It looks like Ive been fishing for the last couple of months with out a valid
    license. I wonder if there are any others out there with dodgy licenses.
    Cheers......

Plenty, some licence distributors feck up quite a lot, some do it deliberately so anglers think they can fish a whole region on a district licence, but they are only setting their customers up for an unpleasant experience i.e. being told to cease fishing and leave cos your licence isn't valid when you're on a weekend trip and have paid for fishing is no fun. As I said, its not your fault, and any IFI office will issue a correct licence for you.

Advertisement