Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

cat denistry

Options
  • 27-06-2011 2:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭

Do you bring your cat to the pet denist for cleaning and polishing their teeth?
    My vet said mine needs it and also to remove one of his teeth as it is broken and causing him pain, though there is no evidence of this

Comments

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

I dont know what the story is with cat's teeth to be honest. Vet told us one of the adult cats had bad plaque and would need his teeth cleaned, we changed them onto a food with bigger kibbles and when we went back, were told that his teeth are fine now. Yet one of the kittens now has sore gums, according to one vet its an immuno problem, according to the other, we should put him on a raw food diet with chicken bones so he has to crunch them and scrape his teeth. Watching him eat, he is crunching the food, so now I dont know what to do. I've been to three different vets and have gotten different opinions from each one. Its a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Im a student vet nurse and ive seen lots of cats with severe tooth problems. Will your cat let you look in its mouth?? If you can, take a look. Plaque deposits around the base of the tooth. Its a browny yellow color. It irritates the gums and causes gingivitis ( red, sore, bleeding gums). This can progress to periodontal disease, where the tooth seperates from the gum allowing bacteria into the bloodstream.

A clean and polish will remove the plaque and then yo8u could switch to a dry or kibbled diet. This will be slightly better than wet food for its teeth.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

Shanao wrote: »
    , according to one vet its an immuno QUOTE]

re- occurant gingivitus can be a sign of Felv which is an immuno defeciency virus. However you cant be sure of this just by looking, a blood test would be needed to confirm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭audreyp

Irishchick wrote: »

re- occurant gingivitus can be a sign of Felv which is an immuno defeciency virus. However you cant be sure of this just by looking, a blood test would be needed to confirm it.

Our cat had her teeth cleaned. She was very young to need it 3 years old. She wasn't a dry food fan so we were blaming that but once her teeth were cleaned she ate much more! Think her mouth was just too sore to eat it! Then after about 6 months she got a kidney infection cause she wasn't eating enough wet food! (she wasn't a fan of drinking!) it's hard to keep a balance! Good luck!

The procedure itself was fine, she was fine after it! Hope it goes ok!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,114 ✭✭✭doctor evil

Irishchick wrote: »

Can also be a sign of FIV. Our last fella had it and the vet mentioned it causes a lot of problems with teeth and eyes. He had problems with his teeth and he died from secondary complications from FIV at the vets .

• Advertisement
  • Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 919 ✭✭✭Shanao

The weird thing about it is that he has been blood tested and nothing showed up. I did vet nursing myself and this has me completely confounded, hence the parading around to different vets. One vet said it could even be early stages of FIP, but he has none of the other symptoms at all. I'm completely confused on this one.

• Registered Users Posts: 670 ✭✭✭serenacat

I dont know what the story is with cat's teeth to be honest. Vet told us one of the adult cats had bad plaque and would need his teeth cleaned, we changed them onto a food with bigger kibbles and when we went back, were told that his teeth are fine now. Yet one of the kittens now has sore gums, according to one vet its an immuno problem, according to the other, we should put him on a raw food diet with chicken bones so he has to crunch them and scrape his teeth. Watching him eat, he is crunching the food, so now I dont know what to do. I've been to three different vets and have gotten different opinions from each one. Its a pain in the arse.

There is some staining at the back of his mouth alright though one vet said it was grand. IT costs 200 euro to clean the teeth and remove one of his tooth apparently, seems crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

serenacat wrote: »
    There is some staining at the back of his mouth alright though one vet said it was grand. IT costs 200 euro to clean the teeth and remove one of his tooth apparently, seems crazy

If you can get your cat to eat raw chicken necks, those will clean his teeth. I'd be more worried about the broken tooth. Cats are very stoic and that could be really painful. Plus no amount of dietary changes will fix a broken tooth. You may have to shell out for that and then change his diet?

serenacat wrote: »

I think we paid about 100 euro for the cleaning. She was much happier afterwards. Hope your cat is ok, it can be impossible to know if they are in pain. Poor thing, I hate the dentist!!

If you can get your cat to eat raw chicken necks, those will clean his teeth. I'd be more worried about the broken tooth. Cats are very stoic and that could be really painful. Plus no amount of dietary changes will fix a broken tooth. You may have to shell out for that and then change his diet?

He is getting the tooth removed next week so hope it goes well, he will be asleep all day.

• Advertisement

Good luck! Hope all goes ok!

Thanks! i'll let you know!

Collected cat, he was pretty drowsy and tired but seems to be recovered well He was pretty hungery which is a good sign. I have to give him a antibiotic and painkiller in his food daily and give him only wet food. Also had to make a make shift cat litter tray as he usually goes to the toliet outside but the vet said he shouldn't be let out until he is recovered. (this was a last minute thing as had not thought of this!)
    I have to bring him back in 5 days for a check up.

Advertisement