Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old laptop won't connect to internet?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 2:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭

Firstly, excuse my ignorance if this problem is very obvious and I'm not aware of it!
    I have an old laptop (acer 3000mate) and I've been trying to connect it to our wireless internet for the little fella. I thought it was a upc problem, but they've told me it's a laptop problem (as my other laptop connects no problem). Anyway, when I check network settings, it clearly says that UPC XXX connected...but I'm still not getting onto the net when I click on the internet explorer icon on the laptop?
    Any ideas, thanks?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Hi. Does your laptop connect to the internet when connected with an ethernet cable? If so, then assuming you have entered the right wep key for your network, I would update the drivers for your wireless card.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,775 ✭✭✭Fittle

I haven't actually tried to hook it up to the cable directly - in Network connections it's saying that it's connected to the wireless. Should I try plugging the actual cable in it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭sellerbarry

Yes . Just plug an ethernet cable into the back of your wireless router and see if you can access the web. If so, then it is more than likely a problem with the drivers for your wireless card. You can update the drivers by -control panel/hardware and sound/device manager/ update driver of your network adaptor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭kravicecreama

just a thought....but what is the security setting on the wireles? is it wep or a variant of wpa? older comps have issue with wpa.

Advertisement