Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do Grey foxes exist in Ireland ?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:41pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 715 ✭✭✭

Seen a letter in the Irish Times today we're a man claims he seen a dead Grey fox on the side of the M4 leaving Dublin. He said it was about 30% bigger than a red fox. Is he possibly mistaken or could it be interbred with a domestic dog or even an escaped import ?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,617 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

red foxes are not always red, i have seen foxes that have had alot of black or gray on them. last one was about 2 weeks ago, he was nearly completly gray except his head and front legs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,271 ✭✭✭✭johngalway

Could be an escaped import. Wasn't there photographs of a raccoon lately. There were rumours of a silver coloured fox not far from where I live but I think that was shenanigans.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,146 ✭✭✭StephenHendry

there are grey foxes in america, there is a black fox which is very rare. there are a few pairs of them in the uk , hardly any in ireland. there was a mention of black foxes on the springwatch programme last year afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 553 ✭✭✭berettaman

About three years ago I saw a grey fox one winters morning, he had black feet/socks and a dark grey body. Definitely a fox. My red setter came out of the ditch about 3 seconds behind him and he looked practically scarlet by comparison!! This was about 4 miles from Enniscorthy town..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 agriolouloudo

I also read that letter in the times about the grey fox but I've asked a couple of people and the consensus is that it's more than likely a badger... don't know though, obviously as haven't seen it :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,920 ✭✭✭Dusty87

There used to be a fox fur farm in stradbally. I seen one stuffed. Was told it was an artic fox. Bigger than the red fox and a blackish grey. Could be an escapee from a private collection or farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,564 ✭✭✭✭steddyeddy

Could have been anything. There are a large number of non native animals that have been released in Ireland lately.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Ah steady on! :rolleyes:

Therewill inevidably be releases of alien soecies from time to time but that statement is too braod and too exaggerated to be accurate. Large Number?? Recently?? And only with reference to large mammals??

Ok, we do not have Native Grey Foxes in Ireland. The size and colouration of Red Foxes differs considerably between individuals, and according to the time of year. If it was a Badger then I despair that someone would plump for it being a Grey Fox? Perhaps it was but it doesn't say much for the person thinking any kind of Fox let alone a Grey Fox.

I love the theories about exotic escapees running loose. It happens from time to time but not nearly as often as people like to imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭thebishop

I wonder why anyone didnt take a photograph of it?

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭tyler71

About seven or eight years ago, about this time of year, I was working late on a pharma site in Cork. We knew we had a site fox, as the local population of rabbits had plumetted and the fox had wandered into some offices one night a while previously and left some serious scent markers, if you know what I mean.
    Anyway that summer evening I was in the middle of the site on my own and turned and saw the fox sauntering straight towards me right down the middle of the main road through the site. She stopped about twenty feet away, and looked straight at me without a hint of worry as if to say 'get out of my way' but then she decides to turn and move off. She was a light grey colour all over, but her coat was very patchy and in poor condition. I don't know a lot about foxes, but when I mentioned her colouring to someone else, they said it was a seasonal thing. Definitey grey though, not a trace of red and definitely a fox, taller and skinnier than I've normally seen though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Traonach

tyler71 wrote: »
    About seven or eight years ago, about this time of year, I was working late on a pharma site in Cork. We knew we had a site fox, as the local population of rabbits had plumetted and the fox had wandered into some offices one night a while previously and left some serious scent markers, if you know what I mean.
    Anyway that summer evening I was in the middle of the site on my own and turned and saw the fox sauntering straight towards me right down the middle of the main road through the site. She stopped about twenty feet away, and looked straight at me without a hint of worry as if to say 'get out of my way' but then she decides to turn and move off. She was a light grey colour all over, but her coat was very patchy and in poor condition. I don't know a lot about foxes, but when I mentioned her colouring to someone else, they said it was a seasonal thing. Definitey grey though, not a trace of red and definitely a fox, taller and skinnier than I've normally seen though.
    Fox probably had mange.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

Elderly foxes will turn grey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

1. Old Foxes go no more grey in old age than a Dog or Cat does. The fur around the muzzle may go a bit grey but that's about it.

2. Sarcoptic mange in Red foxes causes fur loss and skin lesions. It does not leave them looking Grey.

3. Red Foxes have many colour phases ranging from almost black to hints of silver. The supposed Grey Foxes were just colour variations.
    Ever see a Red Squirrel that looked grey and a Grey Squirrel that looked Red? It happens all the time and people often report the wrong species as a result.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,664 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Despite the best cosmetics money can buy:D;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Calochortus

This is true - I have seen a photo of a red fox that had turned half silver. I was also under the impression that this happened to older foxes.

Advertisement