Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BTEA or grant?

Options
  • 27-06-2011 12:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

yes yes i know theres huuundreds of questions about both of these, and im sure everyone is sick of them :p

but anyway...

would i be better off getting the btea or the grant? the btea is a fixed payment, where as the grant is based on all sorts of things..

well im 20, living at home, just me and my mam, she's unemployed at the moment and on jsa, and im on the disability allowance.. so financially we're in a bad way, i live over 45km from my course..

which would be better? btea or the grant?.. as in, the full grant vs the btea?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

BTEA because it's weekly and reliable plus it totals more over the year afaik. The grant is so unreliable...it could be december before you get a grant payment and if money is tight can you wait that long? Then it could be end of Jan and then April before the next one unless you will be getting monthly payments. Thats my two pence!

Plus afaik you won't be able to keep disability as well as grant you just change the name of the payment

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 mflanagan95

with btea you get around 10,000euro for the year and rent allowance if your moved out of home im not sure if thats included in the 10,000.you also get weekly payments and they go right through summer and your fees will be paid for.

with the grant you get 6000euro at most, which you would get with the distance your living from the college i think, and the payments are very irregular in my first year i got my first payment in like january and then the second payment was really close to that while i struggled at the start of the year, and in my second year i got first payment in october. you get 3 payments a year and your fees are also paid, but the grants are complete sh*t!!!!!! go with btea

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭ted.

but the thing is, im on the dissability allowance, and im getting the full rate of it which is the exact same as the btea, not including the cost of education payment which is 500 i think.. and if i start the course i get my disability allowance as well as the grant, so its no different to getting the btea AND the grant at the same time..

• Registered Users Posts: 40,815 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Well in that case you are better staying on DA and getting a grant. You can't get BTEA and the grant together.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 53 ✭✭susiebubbles

you can't get double payments anymore and afaik you have to inform social welfare that your in college and change your payment to BTEA. Check with citizens information though

• Advertisement
Advertisement