Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dog hairdryer/Blaster

Options
  • 27-06-2011 9:42am
    Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭

Has anyone used these blasters for around €100 on ebay? Between swimming at the beach, hydro and the rain i'm drying my dog every other day. Also his little pool is almost ready to go so we'll be doing a hydro session at home at least once a week. :) He's fine with my hairdryer but it takes a while to dry his retriever coat so I'm not really worried about the noise - i just want to speed the process up! :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭andreac

We use blasters on our dogs for getting them ready for the shows.

That blaster is good as it has warm air too which you need to actually dry them. Some blasters are only cold air which doesnt dry them, only takes out the heavy wet.

Its great for blasting out the dead hair too and you will notice a big difference with moutling and hair around the place esp around the time they are loosing their coat as when you blast it, it takes out laods of the coat.

Thats quite a good price but sometimes the quality isnt always great when its cheaper. Think my friends Blaster/drier was around 200euro but its really good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I was looking at getting one of these too.

Andrea would you know what wattage is the best for double coated dogs. I see this one is 2800w and my hairdryer is 1900w and makes no inroads at all.
    I think I need a wind tunnel:p

Oh i didnt even cop that, i will have a look, actually i was wondering why it was so cheap, so im guessing there isnt much power in it then.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,032 ✭✭✭✭tk123

I thought 2800 WAS powerful? The Wahl one (looks like a normal hair dryer) with the stand on amazon etc is 1800 and I think. Then lidl one I have is even less - it dries him but takes ages!! I'm just wary of shelling out €100 for the blaster in case it's cheapo crap when I can get a normal 2800 watt hairdryer for half the price!?

Ok, i just checked with my friend and the hot & cold one is 2000w and its actually powerful enough. We dry a Newfie, a St Bernard and 2 rotties with it each time and its fine.

So 2800 would be very strong. If it has heat it will dry your dog quicker too as opposed to just cold air which just takes out the heavy wet and def doesnt dry double coated breeds.

• Advertisement

Teeeheeeeeeeee :D I've ordered one!!! I had a look around again and the cheaper ones on ebay seem to be a copy of the Aeolus TD-901 which gets good reviews on forums etc and it's sold by grooming sites so I've gone for that one. It comes with a Wahl battery operated trimmer too which should come in handy for trimming around his paws - he's always getting sticky buds etc stuck in there! :P

Anyhoos this is the one I got - I'll report back once I've tested it out! :)

Thats quite a good brand TK, so you did well there. Let me know how you get on when you get it.

Happy blasting:D

Oh thats brilliant:)

I will be awaiting your report TK:D

Ok so it came yesterday!! I resisted the temptation soak him to try it out yesterday evening lol. In the box was the dryer, 2 nozzles and arm for using it as an overhead dryer then the wahl pocket pro which is nice and small and that comes with 2 attachments for different lengths.
    He had a swim at the beach earlier so we got to try it out. He wasn't too wet because I got him a Trover coat/towel coat a few weeks ago but it really cut down the drying time. The top of hose has rubber around it so it doesn't get really hot like the normal hair dyer did and it's just so much handier!! Also you can vary the speed and the heat setting is perfect. It blew all the sand out of his coat too lol - there was tons of it on the floor - usually it's in his bed afterwards! :rolleyes: I tried the wahl clippers earlier just around his paws and it worked a treat so all in all I'm very happy with my purchase! :D I'll probably swim him tomorrow or monday at home ( smyths pool :pac:) so we'll get a chance to see how well it works when he's soaked!

PS look at him (Bailey) being good yesterday lol!! :pac::pac: http://www.facebook.com/DogTrainingIreland

well it sounds like the business so far anyway.

Although TK!.......come on now!......... I have to tell you that Bailey is probably the cleanest, tidiest, best groomed dog I have EVER seen!! I am not sure what you will be doing with your new blaster and clippers but it wont be making him look much better thats for sure:D:D:D

He is beautiful colours too:)

Edit: I cant get over how quick that dryer came!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭falabo

would anyone know how long it would take to dry a cocker spaniel ? ;)

ppink wrote: »
    well it sounds like the business so far anyway.

Although TK!.......come on now!......... I have to tell you that Bailey is probably the cleanest, tidiest, best groomed dog I have EVER seen!! I am not sure what you will be doing with your new blaster and clippers but it wont be making him look much better thats for sure:D:D:D

He is beautiful colours too:)

Edit: I cant get over how quick that dryer came!!

Thanks lol :pac: He swims at the beach at the weekend and does hydro during the week so he stays really clean. Also once he gets wet it loosens the hair so a quick brush down with an undercoat rake and slicker and he's good to go. I give him a light spray of Furminator warterless shampoo & conditioner when i dry him and it brings out the shine in his coat and makes him smell lovely lol. I'll probably swim him at home tomorrow so he'll be soaked and we'll get a better idea of how much faster it is.

TK has Bailey used his hairdryer when he has been totally soaked yet?:) How did it go?

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭pokertalk

ppink wrote: »
    TK has Bailey used his hairdryer when he has been totally soaked yet?:) How did it go?
    the blasters are great i could have a long haired lab done in 15 =20 mins . before i had onei was burning out m ygirlfriends one all the time:D would take a hr or moreand 3 towels

Yep we used it at the weekend after he had a swim at home and I'd hosed him down and gave him a wash so he was soaked :D I love it lol - just so much faster than a normal hairdryer and the heat from it seems to be just right - warm enough to dry him but not too warm that if you left it one place too long it could burn him like the hair dryer. He was completely soaked and I'd say I had him 90% dry in 15 mins, gave him a break then finished him off for another 5 mins. The only thing you have to watch out for is drying him after the beach - the sand can blow back at you into your eyes - I wear my sunglasses for that lol :D It doesn't dull his coat either and your just holding the end of the hose which is much lighten than a hairdryer - my arm used to get tired drying him for ages with the hairdryer!
    I've used it loads - after being out in the rain, after the beach or hydro etc so definitely getting my money's worth!

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

Looks very like the blaster at our hydrotherapist TK.
    Unfortunately one of ours is scared of it - and if we could only get them in the sea - terrified is not a strong enough word... :(
    For the moment just making do with hyrdo and towel dry - but someday.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

Hope it's okay to breathe new life into this thread!
    So tk.... how is the blaster?
    I will be dropping some very strong hints for one for Christmas (though if I orchestrate it properly, I'll get it soon, and perhaps it'll have been forgotten about by Christmas, when I can "orchestrate" something else:D)
    Soooo, can we have your critique?:D

I love love LOVE it!!! :D I use it after we've been at the beach, after hydro or if he's been out in the rain/gotten wet rolling around. The other day I had him out when it was raining - I had his little coat on him but he was rolling around and decided to dig a hole in the grass :rolleyes: so he was wet and mucky around his legs, tail and tummy. 5 mins with the blaster and he was spotless - it blew all the muck and dirt off him and he was nice and tidy for class.

I leave it on top of his crate and the flex is long enough to reach the socket at the counter and the hose is more than long enough to dry him from up there. I've put some tennis balls beside it to give an idea of the size :pac: :
    170596.jpg

I find it fluffs up his coat and makes him look lovely and fuzzly lol compared to towel drying him. Towel drying is ok if it's just his top coat that's wet but if he's wet down to his undercoat a towel won't dry him. The pics aren't the best but here he is half dry after his hydro session in the first pic and then after I've finished drying him with the blaster :
    170597.jpg

It's loud enough - say as loud as a vacuum cleaner but it has variable speed so if your dog is afriad of it you can start on the low setting and move it up. I use the high setting for his body and then the lowest setting for around his paws and his ears. He was afriad the hairdryer until he was groomed by his friends at daycare (who he loves and lets them do what they want to him lol) so I've been using a standard (human) one for the last year. The first few times I used the blaster he was a bit scared so I kept it on the lowest setting and gave him treats as we went along. He's well used to it now and usually sits or lies down when I dry him.

Apart from the noise I can't really think of any bad points. I'm able to completely dry him with the blaster which wasn't really possible with the hairdryer as it'd get too hot or we'd both get fed up! Another minor bad point is that if there's anything like say a mat or paper bags etc near where you're drying it's likely to be blown away by the air! :pac::pac::pac:

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,740 Mod ✭✭✭✭DBB

tk123 wrote: »
    I love love LOVE it!!! :D

OK! You've sold me!:D
    The hairdrier does take bloody ages with a double-coated dog, so I really like the idea of the blaster...
    Your dog looks just gorgeous, it's lovely to se a GR with his coat in good order! Look at his little paw lifting in the 3rd photo: "Maaammm... I'm afraid of that camera thing you're pointing at me:o"
    Thanks a mill for the info!

DBB wrote: »
    Look at his little paw lifting in the 3rd photo: "Maaammm... I'm afraid of that camera thing you're pointing at me:o"
    Thanks a mill for the info!
    He's learning to wave at class lol :D

• Advertisement
Advertisement