Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Squash partner wanted

• 27-06-2011 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭

Male beginner looking for somebody to play with in South Dublin (willing to travel within reason).

Would be pretty fit so no problem chasing balls but not playing long and would like something a bit more challenging than drilling on my own.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 aisling84

hi u still looking for a partner for squash, I'd like to give it a shot, but i've never really played before, if you're interested let me know :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3 arooj

Hi,
    I will be interested.

Played a bit of squash in college - now am looking to take-up squash again to get back into shape :D

I live in Portmarnock D13.

oh great! I live in Milltown but work in town do you know anywhere that has squash courts around? If we have a look then we can sort something out. looking forward to it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭gerbear1

I was just about to post here seeing if anybody wanted to play squash. I have 2 racquets, so no need to rent one in case anybody doesn't have one. I know we could play in UCD without being a member. Going to be PM people on this thread to organise a game.

If anyone is interested in a game in UCD, PM me also. Played a bit before but could do with improvement!

• Advertisement

why don't we arrange a time to meet in UCD and all of us who are there can play say next week in the evening some time ? we could make it a weekly thing, what is the story about booking in UCD?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Triangla

USD is usually easy enough to book during summer. Check their website for the sports hall number to book a court.

There are courts in Spawell too that are always free, just google it. It is a bit of a dump at the moment but availability is good.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 grocklecat

anyone looking to play at UCD please do PM me as well, i would be interested in playing new people.

i play at UCD (am a mature student there) and court availability is pretty good.
    you can't book by phone unless it's the same day, but you can book in advance in person.
    it's €2.50 pp for students, €4.50 for staff, €6.50 for member of the public.

i'm happy enough to book a 2 person court in advance, as i am around the college.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 alec_e

I am a member of Trinity sports club so if it suits anyone to play in town, give me a shout.
    Been playing on and off for 4 years but no great shakes.

Hey alec,

I am not a member of trinity college but work in town so that would be handy, can I just pay as I go? Im free tormorrow at 6 if that suits:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Fabregas4

Any offers still going for a game of squash? Live/work in town, not the fittest, 34, but looking to pick up game again.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 ciangeer

Hi,

I would be interested in joining ye too if ya have something regular going now?

M

There's Ballyfermot sports complex or two courts in Leinster Cricket Club, Rathmines, think you have to be a member. Either of those suit or any suggestions?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Hi,

I've played squash on and off for 6 months. My squash partner is heading abroad and I'm looking to find a regular game.

I live and work in Dublin city centre, southside. We used to play out in the Spa Well.

PM me if anyone is interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Funkyman

@ Fabergas4 , I asked at Ballyfermot sports complex and they said no squash there.

Funkyman, missed your reply somehow. How about trying Spawell. I played there a few years ago and it was OK. Bit of a trek out for me but I'm happy to give it a shot. I'll give them a shout for time/price.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 515 ✭✭✭con1982

Still looking for a squash partner.

PM me if anyone is interested
    con1982 wrote: »
    Hi,

I've played squash on and off for 6 months. My squash partner is heading abroad and I'm looking to find a regular game.

I live and work in Dublin city centre, southside. We used to play out in the Spa Well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭abceire

There are some squash courts around Ballyfermot I forget the number, played a few times there and they in good condition, spawell is crazy, in bits and cost way too much, I'd like a game too, I've played for a good few years but never more then with friends for fun, anyone want a game I am near spawell, but dont mind meeting somewhere nicer?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Joao Ratao

Hi,

I'm also looking into start playing squash. I've never played before, if there's anyone also looking for a very beginner partner, please let me know.

I can travel within a reason in Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭kkposse

Hi I'm used to playing tennis but would be interested in playing squash after having a few games, im close to trinity gym if that suits:)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,133 ✭✭✭Stevecw

Joao Ratao wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm also looking into start playing squash. I've never played before, if there's anyone also looking for a very beginner partner, please let me know.

I can travel within a reason in Dublin.

Hey,

I've played tennis before...but never squash. I am a total beginner too, wud love to play.
    Not sure where is best place to play tho. Do u have to join clubs etc?? Or is there pay to play?

I also wondered about the same. I've googled it but only I found membership clubs where we can play squash. Perhaps someone knows a public squash court? Or like you say, a pay to play...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 150 ✭✭lexa

Joao Ratao, where abouts are you based? There are some pay as you go squash courts around

Hi, I'm based in city center, around christchurch. But I have a car and I can travel. I used to play tennis in bushy park on saturdays...

There are pay as you go courts available at:
    Southside
    UCD
    The Spawell, Templeogue
    Ballinteer Leisure Centre - http://www.dlrleisureservices.ie/meadowbrook/location.php
    De la Salle Sports Centre, Churchtown - http://dlsgym.com/
    Ballyfermot Sports Complex (I think)

Northside
    Portmarnock Sports and Leisure Centre - www.pslc.ie
    DCU, Glasnevin - there are 2 courts which I think are open to the public but their policy may have changed to students/member only
    Sportslink, Santry www.sportslink.ie (You may need to be a member here)

Your best bet is probably UCD and you might find someone out there who could give you a couple of lessons to get you started. You should pick it up easy enough seeing as you’ve played tennis before.

That's an amazing help... Thank you so much. At the moment Im going thru the very difficult and painfull process of finding a new apartment but as soon as have a new place, I'll defo check out this courts. Thanks again :)

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Bog Warrior

Howdy!

I played for a couple of years abroad and really loved the sport..

Looking to get back into it here in Dublin
    I'm in D3 and don't know anywhere to play but willing to travel within cycling distance.
    Would rather pay to play then becoming a member at the minute

Anyone wanting to play pm me and we can get it together!

Not many courts on the Northside and I think the only pay as you go courts are DCU. There used to be some on the Howth Road but that closed a few years ago.

There are 2 courts in DCU, 2 in Sportslink, Santry (might need to be a member), 4 in ALSAA (need to be a member) and also courts in Sutton Tennis Club but you also need to be a member here.

If you want to get back into the game, maybe look to join a club. ALSAA is pretty cheap for membership and have an active squash club.

• Registered Users Posts: 78 ✭✭Bog Warrior

Thanks for that Lexa, good to know about ALSAA too..
    Anyone here playing in DCU?

• Advertisement

Hey U still looking for a squash player, i've only played a few times, I'd like to play out by UCD perhaps once a week, let me know if you're still interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2 pula

Hello,

Would anyone be interested in a game at the Spawell? Im not pro but not a beginner either, just havent played in a while and would really like to start up again.

I d play next week sometime. what suits you?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 mungy

I'm interested in playing at Spawell too. I used to play Div 5 league and Saturday league (although that doesn't mean I managed to beat anyone :)

I was thinking it might be good to get a Spawell Saturday league team together but it might be too late to enter one(although its less formal than the leagues organized by Leinster squash, so they might allow it if its done ASAP).

I don't think they have a ladder or anything in Spawell so that might be a good starting point for getting a group of regular players together. Then maybe next season there could be the makings of a team.

Hi mungy, nope Spawell doesn't have a Saturday league or anything, the courts are all done up so it a much place to play compared to last time I played there. I would be interested in a Saturday league, I just found someone my level to play once a week but I'd like the chance to play others too and improve my game.

Hi abceire,

I've enquired to see if it's too late to submit a team ( I think the league starts this weekend though) and also the entrance costs for a team. We would need at least 5 players (8 preferable so we have cover if people cant play).

Either way we should put our email addresses down by the courts so people who play down there can contact each other if they're looking for a game.

• Advertisement

Good idea about the emails mungy, someone with a printer might do up a sheet?
    I've never played any matches at all ever, just played friends and some others at my old gym that had squash courts, but I'd be interested in playing matches.

Just got a reply back about the Saturday league, it starts this weekend so it would be too messy to join at this stage I think.

Once we get an idea who plays out in Spawell then we might organize a round robin league for those interested. I'll try and put a contact sheet up if I'm at the driving range over the weekend

Cheers mungy

Maybe a little something too , to explain why you're looking for contact details, for the non boards folk playing.

abceire, there is now a possibility of entering a league team(another team may be dropping out) and I've found 2 others interested in playing. Should cost around 40 euro a head to register + court fees as well for home games. I will look around and see if I can get enough for a team.

NEED SATURDAY LEAGUE SQUASH PLAYERS ASAP - TO PLAY IN SPAWELL

• Advertisement

Mungy could you outline what a saturday league is? how long does it go on for weeks wise? times it's on? who do we play? how long is a match? it would be great motivation to play regularly, be fun too to get a the two courts during the week and a few players and saw around, I'm too used to playing one person for a few months and then someone else for a few months so I noticed I was slow to learn how to beat new people.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Merrion1968

I'm a squash beginner and in his mid 30s with low to mid fitness. Is anyone interested playing a few games once a week at Gormanston courts?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 carrie9179

Just wondering if you still play squash at ucd as I would be interested.....

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,931 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

CLOSING THIS ONE TOO. HASN'T BEEN ACTIVE FOR 4 YEARS AND YOU'VE POSTED THE SAME THING IN THREE THREADS. DM PEOPLE OR KEEP IT ALL IN THE ONE THREAD I'M LEAVING OPEN.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement