Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Car Insurance for first provisional -tesco

Options
  • 26-06-2011 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭

I am admittedly clueless about all this insurance malarky! :confused:

Bought a car in April, need to get it insured so that I can start learning, no driving experience whatsoever.

The car is a 2002 Yaris Sol, 1.0l, 998cc

A good few of the main insurers won't touch me as I have no past experience etc. I want comprehensive insurance.

The only 3 that I can find willing to insure me are:
    • its2women.ie €1490
    • AA €1323
    • Tesco Value €839, Standard €1070, Finest €1199
    Obviously the tesco value one is the most attractive, but it seems too good to be true?! It's still comprehensive, the 3 different categories are just the extras which you get.

Apparently,
    The core benefits of the value are:
    • Comprehensive Cover
    • Uninsured driving protection
    • Breakdown Assist for Ireland & UK
    • No loss of NCD for fire or theft claims
    • New car replacement if yours is written off
    • €500 Min excess, reduced if you use our approved repairer
    • Cover for in car entertainment equipment

for the standard:
    • Full No Claims Discount protection for one claim
    • Stepback protection if you do have additional claims
    • Courtesy car cover for 7 days while repairs are carried out to your car
    • Windscreen cover
    • Reduced excess of €300, less if you use our approved repairer
    • €15,000 Personal Accident cover
    • European cover for up to 31 days
    • €250 Medical Expenses

and for the finest:
    • Full No Claims Discount protection for a second claim
    • Breakdown Assist for the whole of Europe
    • Courtesy car cover for 14 days if your car is stolen and can't be found
    • Cover for your Personal belongings
    • Reduced excess of €150
    • Personal Accident cover increases to €30,000
    • European cover extended to 95 days
    • Replacement locks cover

The finest benefits dont seem like they are going to apply for me,

so is there any crucial difference that the standard is offering over the value which would be worth paying the extra for? The windscreen cover etc? I really don't have a clue what I should be looking for, so without advice I will just be going for the value, which still seems suspiciously cheap for a first timer?!

Any insight much appreciated! :)Thank you!!!!

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Why do you want fully comp on a car that's probably worth about the same as the insurance quotes your getting? Unless TPFT was only a few quid cheaper, i'd be going with that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

How old are you roughly ? I assume late 20's going by the Tesco quote ?

As Alan said its not worth going fully comp on a 9 year old car, third party, fire & theft would be recommended.

For the price that your probably paid for your Yaris if anything was to happen to it such as you having an accident and even a minor one at that it would be (A) wrote off and (B) you wouldn't get the value of the car back when it is declared a write off.

• Registered Users Posts: 141 ✭✭roweeeeena

thanks for the replies, I'm 24.

I get your point why TPFT might make more sense but the difference is only around 100 so I was happy to pay the extra to get the comp, it might still be worth it, the car is in excellent condition and has a really low mileage, and if not it's only a hundred quid.. tho that said yeah you're still probably right! Just everyone else has been telling me to def get comprehensive!

The issue is just I don't know whether the comp value option would do me, or should I go one up for the comp standard with the few extras, is the standard actually offering much more, or is it just a gimmick? I suppose at only €231 in the difference I should just go with the middle standard option?.. Was expecting to pay a bit more than a grand so would be happy to pay the €1070 if tesco insurance is reliable and that policy ticks all the main boxes...

• Registered Users Posts: 834 ✭✭✭ADIDriving

Those Tesco quotes seem good. Tesco is just the face for the product you are being sold. The policy is with a normal, legitimate company. As for which one; the more you pay, the more you get. It all depend on how much money / peace of mind you want.
    I would also suggest getting some lessons started before getting the insurance.
    Mister Jingles; clearly Roweeeena is in her early twentys. Shame on you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,190 ✭✭✭Mister Jingles

ADIDriving wrote: »
    Mister Jingles; clearly Roweeeena is in her early twentys. Shame on you.

Blame the tesco quote for me making that assumption :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,931 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

I agree with ADIDriving, sort out some lessons first.

Sexist discrimination is great isn't it? I can't get a quote of €800 for TPFT despite having a full license 2 years and 3 years NCB. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭kearney13

I know ya need a 2 years NCB for tescos car insurance check out chill.ie and ring them up good deals there :D

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭GSI

when I was looking for insurance off tesco, every time they told me you needed 2yrs no claims :(

I'm on the Tesco Value TPFT for my 1993 Toyota Corolla. Was a named driver before but not for too long (didn't have 1 full year as a named driver even) but they still insured me once I passed my test.

They were dramatically the cheapest for me I found. Plus you get money off for using your clubcard!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 85 ✭✭rachos89

I'm with Tesco, it's my very first insurance ever and I wasn't asked for proof of NCB at all, in fact when I rang up to check about it on the proposal form they sent out the woman on the phone said not to worry, that they know it doesn't apply to me and to just send back the other required bits and the form.

• Advertisement

jesus that is so ****ing annoying. Ive rang them up about 3 times and been told every time ya need 2 yrs NCB :mad:

Buy it on t'interwebs so, that's what I did and there was no hassle about any NCB!

rachos89 wrote: »
    Buy it on t'interwebs so, that's what I did and there was no hassle about any NCB!
    Unfortunately due to the details you have provided, we cannot complete your quotation online.
    :confused:

wtf?:confused: I only bought mine at the end of April and I'm 21, female, previously uninsured and a learner and I had no hassle!v strange :confused:

Well I'm 18, full license. Previously insured and trying to get insured on a 973cc.

I'm stumped!

rachos89 wrote: »
    I'm stumped!

I'm not surprised tbh. Insurance companys are just the biggest shower of cu'nts going simple as.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,157 ✭✭✭Compton

go for the cheapest and builld up your NCB

Advertisement