Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Rate the race: Round 08 - European Grand Prix

Options
  • 26-06-2011 4:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭

So what did everyone think of Valencia?

Rate the Race 49 votes

0%
    0%
    0%
    0%
    2%
    GavRedKing 1 vote
    8%
    dor83blackdog2vincenzolorenzoShay Vader 4 votes
    18%
    TheFatmuckwarriorVegetah3000ScumLordBigal87ColumbiaSparks43DEVEREUX 9 votes
    18%
    jhegartyDampsquidGrim.NinjaTruncsRayMSitecSheepsfunkyouupLionbacker 9 votes
    26%
    De HipsteramacachiVoodu ChildGhost Trainfrostie500mickdwGlico Mandecisionspegasus1pdbhplosthorizonproulxjonnysimples 13 votes
    26%
    donspeekingleshLIGHTNINGmiketv[Deleted User]lord lucanEvilMonkeyOSISean QuagmireIron HideVW 1weekaizerAutosportRichard Hillman 13 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,565 ✭✭✭losthorizon

Utterly boring. Funnily enough I do think the circuit in Valencia has the potential to be quite good. I actually think its better than the one in Barcelona which i hate. The GP2 races there over the weekend were very entertaining. Hopefully the next two races will be quite good. Silverstone is never quite as good as people think it is and the Nurburgring has been ruined. The next classic race is Spa I'm afraid. However Silverstone does throw up the odd good Grand Prix.

For Good Formula 1 you do need good circuits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,625 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

worst race in ages - very boring. I gave it the lowest score possible, 1 out of 10 - pity really because it doesn't even deserve the 1 - you need a zero out of ten in this poll!

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,706 ✭✭✭Voodu Child

I agree, my attention drifted off before the half-way point and I didn't stay for any of the interviews or bits after the race.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

crap race

fantastic drive by vettel though

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭frostie500

Ill always look for the best in any race but I actually did fall asleep during that one! Three for me

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭EvilMonkey

Its a street circuit, every car finished, no one hit a barrier, no one spun, and one car lost a wing :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Who voted 5? Come on if thats a 5 (average) I will eat my hat
    I gave it a three because there was an actual overtake for position for 2nd and a few battles down the field but there was little or no intrigue beyond that.
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Its a street circuit, every car finished, no one hit a barrier, no one spun, and one car lost a wing :o
    Pathetic isn't it? Also I really, really hate the blue walls and green track surrounds the whole way around, so boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,280 ✭✭✭Glico Man

3 from me also. The Alonso/Webber battle and the odd jostle for positions further down salvaged it from being a 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

I gave it a 6, and now that I think about it, 4 would be more accurate.

It always had the potential to be a thriller, and because the pit stops were out of sync with each other, those laps in-between were worth waking up for.

The lads in the midfield did their best to make up for it, there was more overtaking than the average monaco gp there in the early 00s

One thing that irks me is putting a kink on the start finish straight means feck all overtaking at turn one

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

N/A cos the box ****ed up again and didn't record anything this week :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

N/A cos the box ****ed up again and didn't record anything this week :mad:

should be happy it saved you 2 hours of your life :P

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭dnme

Recorded it and just sitting down to watch it now, at lap 7/57. So far I am struggling to stay awake. It's a procession. Also it's unfortunate that Vettel is so dominant. Schumacher's reign nearly killed the sport, hope that doesn't happen again. Although you have to commend Red Bull and Vettel, the fault lies with the rest of them who are not keeping up with developement.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭Kersh

1. It was terrible. Very dull.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,249 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

2 and thats for Webber/Alonso and the mid fielders keeping me awake just :)

• Registered Users Posts: 852 ✭✭✭blackdog2

How on earth could you have given that race a 6! That race was a throwback to when F1 races were a complete procession and only the hardcore would even bother watching them.

I should admit that it is the first race i have watched in English since the Turkish GP last year

but still, it always had an "almost" feel, other than the last 10 laps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,240 ✭✭✭Iron Hide

Anyone who gave that race a score higher than 3 needs theyre head thoroughly examined

• Registered Users Posts: 556 ✭✭✭MudSkipper

dull circuit, processional race.......... not even lewis (or kobayashi) had a mad overtaking attempt...... strategy ruled and with everyone on similar strategies (bar algesauri and couple others) not even pit-stops and where they'd fit back in was interesting.... webber and alonso swapped places twice coz of the 'undercut' wahey! ...... schumi losing his wing after coming out of pit was height of excitement.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Sky+'d it and only just finished watching it now. Dire stuff tbh.

lord lucan wrote: »
    Sky+'d it and only just finished watching it now. Dire stuff tbh.

least you got to fast forward the dull bits entire race ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

MudSkipper wrote: »
    least you got to fast forward the dull bits entire race ;)

Worst thing was that i knew who won(caught the breaking news strap on sky news in work by accident) but watched to see what incidents i missed. May as well have fast forwarded from lap 2 to lap 57 tbh.

• Advertisement

lord lucan wrote: »
    Worst thing was that i knew who won(caught the breaking news strap on sky news in work by accident) but watched to see what incidents i missed. May as well have fast forwarded from lap 2 to lap 57 tbh.

no no, you'd have missed schumi's broken front wing and whether he crossed the pit lane exit white line or not......... DC: 'hawkeye would call that out' (or some such nonsense)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,475 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

The sooner that track disappears from the F1 calender the better. I`d far prefer Magny Cours or Paul Ricard or perhaps watch the F1 drivers playing chess, anything would be better than that farce.

amen to that.
    I've hated it since it was introduced, am glad to note I missed nothing by not seeing it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,196 ✭✭✭the culture of deference

dnme wrote: »
    Recorded it and just sitting down to watch it now, at lap 7/57. So far I am struggling to stay awake. It's a procession. Also it's unfortunate that Vettel is so dominant. Schumacher's reign nearly killed the sport, hope that doesn't happen again. Although you have to commend Red Bull and Vettel, the fault lies with the rest of them who are not keeping up with developement.

I usually watch the full BBC feed today, but by the sounds of it I shouldn't bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Hit 7 and meant to give it a 5.

Avergae to boring race with little to keep me entertained, well done to Vettel though, got the job done again.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,499 ✭✭✭Sabre0001

Disappointed with race. Track looks really cool but nothing happened. DRS didn't really work either - system needs to be ironed out or abandoned. Fact that commentary was trying multiple times to put the curse on cars by talking about reliability shows that it was quite dull!

🤪

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭decisions

Boring as hell only thing that saved it from a 1 was the midfield battle.
    Having also watched the GP2 race I think that it could have been better.
    Super soft/soft tyres might have made it more intresting. DRS didnt work at all needed an earlier activation point. And the Red Bulls are just plain faster no one is keeping up with the development of that car.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

As dull as it gets. Predictable, boring & dull...Getting tough to sit through these races from a viewing perspective, the domination of Vettel & the other teams having no answer now for the last season & a half is getting a bit old.

Again, its nothing to do with Vettel or RB...I'm waiting for McL & Ferrari to present some competition but so far the answer has eluded them. Great inter-team interaction etc, but man the racing has suffered big time this season.

DRS is a load of bollox also, it gives the faster cars an even bigger advantage...robbing us of at least some surprises.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭funkyouup

Most boring race this season, im really not liking vettel walking away with the championship already, but he really isnt being challenged by the other "top" teams at the moment, or webber actually.
    Have to say though the most annoying thing for me personally right now is the lack of progress the bottom teams are making this season, hopefully by this time next year we will see less blue flags:)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Voting for a 2 on this one, just to echo what was said already above, boring and processional and following quite possibly the race of the year so far. Just as an aside, although Red Bull and Vettel are dominating through the obvious superiority of the car, does anyone disagree that Vettel is the best driver on the circuit at the moment?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

VW 1 wrote: »
    Voting for a 2 on this one, just to echo what was said already above, boring and processional and following quite possibly the race of the year so far. Just as an aside, although Red Bull and Vettel are dominating through the obvious superiority of the car, does anyone disagree that Vettel is the best driver on the circuit at the moment?

Probably, though it's still damn hard to tell tbh. He was pretty much just cruising yesterday such is the superiority of the car and I'm fairly sure he hasn't pushed too hard for most of his wins.

Advertisement